Chapter 13

• Simone's POV •
I'm almost home, coming from Jamal's. It was a big step showing him my bruises. I hadn't even shown Janet or Auntie Keisha. But, they probably already knew we had scars from all the abuse me & Sophia suffered over the years.

I knock on the door, and Auntie Keisha comes right to it. I step in the house, finally relieved to get some warmth back in my body.

"Janet went to have lunch with Quan. So you can go right up to the room, and enjoy yourself," She says, chuckling.
I chuckle too. "Alright."

I run up the steps, to the room. I can hear Trinity & Sophia talking, like two sixteen year olds catching up with Love & Hip Hop. Soph told me yesterday she was enjoying her new school, and I was happy for her. Somewhere she could get an education and make real friends.

I chuckle, and enter the room. I plop on the bottom bunk, and plug my phone up to the charger. I lay there for a moment, reflecting on the day.

Jamal was a kind boy. The other boys would have just brushed my situation off their shoulders, and kept it moving. Not Jamal.. he wanted to take the stand against my mom & Shawn, which was really frightening, but he wanted to do it. For me & Sophia.

If I was gone get with any boy, it was going to be Jamal Warren. I smile for a minute.. every time I hear his name I do.

Anyways, if Jamal asked me to be his girlfriend, there would be no hesitation.. the answer would be yes. And I really wished he would ask me soon.

Real soon.

I'm still sitting on my bed, nothing to do. As always, I turn on Netflix, and catch up with my show, Scandal.
It was sooo good. I couldn't get enough of it.. and I knew Janet would be mad if I watched it without her, but I was craving to watch it. I'd just update her on what happens.

••••

I was still watching Scandal until Sophia comes in, and plops down on my bed, on my legs.
"Simone," She says.
"Yes, Sophia.. I'm at your service," I say, sitting up.
"How do you know when you love someone?" She asks.

"What you mean?" I ask, confused.
"I'm still debating on whether I love mom & Shawn or not," She answers.

I think for a moment. This was actually serious. I didn't want Sophia to resent mom & Shawn, but I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't love them.

"Well," I start.
"Sophia, in your heart, do you really love them?"
"To be honest, no." She replies.
"Ok. If you don't love them, you don't. She stills your mom and he's still your brother.. so let's just say you're in the process of starting to love them." I say.

"Ok. I'm in the process of loving them. Which means I'm not to a point of loving them yet, right?" Sophia says.
"Right," I reply.
"Thanks Simone," She says, hugging my neck, and leaving the room.
"Love you."

"Love you too, Sophia." I say, laying back into my comfy bed.

I'm sleepy.. I pause Scandal and close my eyes. I really needed a nap.

I slowly drift off to sleep.