Chapter 22

• Simone's POV •
My mom just told a lie. On the stand. In front of a judge.
She could go to jail for this. But once again a dope fein like her was dumb and had no knowledge.

"Your honor," Auntie Keisha says.
Judge Johanson looks her way.
"I have proof this is the plaintiff. As you can see, this phone record displays the number who sent this voicemail as Imani Peterson."

"Jerome, please go get that," Judge Johanson orders the bailiff.
Jerome gets the phone record and passes it up to the judge on his stand.

He looks the paper up and down. "Well, Ms. Peterson, this is under your name.. and it does trace back to where you live- North Trace Apartments, correct?"

"No, your honor, that is incorrect. This is my address," My mom says, passing the paper to Jerome.

Once again, Jerome passes it up to Judge Johanson. "Well, this doesn't look forged."

What? My mom & Shawn did not move from The Trace. They was lying to this man, and I wish he would see that.

My mom & Shawn nod.
Shawn gets up, a tissue in his hand. "Your honor, I miss my two sisters. I would never send a voicemail like that, sayin' the pleasure is to beat them. I want them to understand that.. and the defendant cursed me."

Auntie Keisha is fuming.
It's my time for me to say something. They just want to beat me & Soph to death so they can see our pain.. blood rushing from our head and every wound they put on us.

I get up. "Your honor.. may me and my sister please see you in your chambers?"

He nods. "Yes. Jerome, please escort them."

Me and Sophia follow Jerome to this door behind his stand.

Judge Johanson's room has a shelf full of books. His desk is polished, and across from it is a leather couch that me & Sophia sit on.

"Ok. What do you have to talk about to me girls?" He asks.
"Judge Johanson, my mom and brother have been abusing me and my sister for 11 years," I pull up my sleeve, exposing my bruises and cuts.

"This is years of abuse.."
I pull up Sophia's pant leg, showing her big bruises and healing cuts. I know she feels uncomfortable, but this judge wasn't believing nothing Auntie Keisha said, because his mind was full of my mom & Shawn's fibs.

Judge Johanson examines every bruise and cut.. "Girls, this is horrible. And I genuinely believe you. You know, that act your mom & brother are putting on isn't so good."

Me and Sophia chuckle. "Then why did you say the address seemed correct?" I ask.
He chuckles. "Just to see how far they thought they could when attempting to fool a judge. See, your mom's brother Ricky has been in my court before, with that address. I knew they didn't live together, Ricky already told me that."

I nod. Uncle Ricky had 7 kids, and only got custody of 1.. no wonder he had been in family court. He was like my mom, on dope.. I still don't know how he got custody of my cousin, Raven.

"And, everytime your mom & brother spoke, I heard their voices. And they sounded just like the ones in the voicemail- oh, and she didn't give an explanation why the number was still under her name."

"Thank you, Judge Johanson.. I thought you were going to send us back with them for a moment." Sophia says, finally speaking.
"You two are welcome. I was in the same home as a child, and I became a judge to keep children out of environments like this.. especially African Americans," He replies.

We get up to leave & go back to the court room, but I have one final thing to say.

"Judge Johanson.. I know you already said 'you're welcome', but thank you.. truly, I thank you. Even though I didn't want to come to court today, it's going to do me and my sister justice." I say.

"Simone and Sophia, you are welcome. I know how this feels. I went through a court case as well, and my aunt was granted custody of me.. and from then on, I was ok." Judge Johanson replies.

We walk back to the courtroom, and my mom & Shawn look pleased with their act on the judge.
Auntie Keisha looks worried. So does Janet and Jamal.. but, they just had to wait.

Everything would turn out the way we wanted.

••••

We're in the courtroom, and after 2 minutes of silence, Judge Johanson speaks.
"To me, this case is a more personal one. Ms. Peterson and Mr. Peterson, you thought your act would rub off on me. You abused these two girls for no reason, and lied to my face about that voicemail. As well as that address,"

My mom and Shawn look mad.. that's what they get.

"Ms. Townes, I want to acknowledge you for sticking by these two girls even when you had no clue what was going on.. now the verdict,"

Everyone is on the edge of their seats.

"I have decided to grant full custody to Keisha Townes, the aunt of Simone Penney and Sophia Penney. Imani and Shawn Peterson should not come within 10 feet of Simone Penney, Sophia Penney, Keisha Townes, Janet Townes, and Jamal Warren.."

Every one of our faces have turned into ones with joy. Finally, we have closure. But I could tell Judge Johanson wasn't done.. what else was he going to say?

"I sentence Imani and Shawn Peterson to 2 years for perjury, which is lying under the bible in front of a judge. I also sentence Imani and Shawn Peterson to 4-7 years for child abuse." Judge Johanson slams his hammer thing against the round wooden post.
"Court is adjourned."

My mom and Shawn give us an evil look. "We never loved you." My mom lips to me and Sophia. Shawn nods, agreeing with her statement.
"Neither did we.." I lip back. Sophia mocks Shawn, and nods.

They give us the same evil look, just as the officers come in and drag them away. Finally, me and Sophia can sleep at night, with nothing to worry upon.

After they're dragged away, me, Janet, Auntie Keisha, Sophia, and Jamal do a group hug. We chuckle, and wave at Judge Johanson before leaving the courtroom into the car.

The whole ride is silent. Everyone is probably reflecting on the whole day.. even though we finally have what wanted, sometimes you just have to think back and see how far you've come- even in a matter of 5 minutes.

My mom and Shawn were out of my mind and life, and I wanted to switch my look up a bit.. just because I'm starting fresh with my real family.. and boyfriend.

Tonight I think I'll take out my braids.