The Power of Friendship

Katherine and I spent our free time sparring along the mat at the Youth Center. For the longest time, this had been a go-to hangout where my friends and I would grab some takeout, hold charity events, or run a martial arts seminar. The Youth Center has been a place for visitors to hang out and socialize with their peers. It is also a place for folks to participate in extracurricular activities and hold charity events for the common good in our society. Growing up in Angel Grove, this facility has brought a lot of joy in me. I, for one, made plenty of friends including ones who would go on to become my Power Rangers teammates.

Billy stood along the sidelines monitoring as a spectator to watch our every move. He cheered on in support of us to maintain a consistent performance in our training. My eyes remained glued towards Kat as she did mine. Focus has been the number one key when it comes to practicing martial arts. As Kat attempted a front kick, it was just a matter of time before I countered with a leg sweep takedown. I picked her up from off the mat before we bowed in unison.

"You did fine Kat. Just remember that rage isn't the key to succeeding in Karate. Focus and remain calm," I reminded her.

"I knew this would be a challenge. I don't know how you guys manage to defend yourselves like that," she said, clearly frustrated by the end result.

"You don't expect to succeed overnight. It takes time to truly master a form of martial arts," Billy elaborated. "Believe me when I started out Karate, I didn't have that much confidence in myself. The best Martial Artist is someone who devotes their time to learn about their craft and practices on a day to day basis."

"From a tech savvy person, I was beginning to think you would be a fast learner," Katherine responded, still in doubt of what went down.

"It's no worry. We each learn at a different pace," I said as I placed my hand on her shoulder. "You'll get better at it over time. As long as you believe in yourself and stay committed to your goals, it will be worth the journey."

Kat smiled. "Now that you mention it, I used to hear that a lot from my folks back home."

"Look, I can't imagine how it must feel to be far away from where you lived. But I reassure you that we're here to support you however we can. That's what friends are for," I comforted her in that regard.

"I guess you're right," Kat admitted. Having only known her for a month, I couldn't help but think about the conversation I had with her father. To hear about her relationship with her mother felt quite bittersweet.

"I'm burnt. Let's call it a day and continue this another time," I stepped in to break the awkward silence.

"Kat, I'll stop by the juice bar and get a banana smoothie. Would you like one?" Billy offered her.

"That would be lovely," Kat accepted.

"That reminds me. I almost forgot I brought my water bottle with me," I snickered as I approached the patio table to grab myself a beverage. I gulped the thirst of cold fluid that replenished my body. That feeling when you spend much of your energy performing on the mat can be strenuous but very rewarding. Whether I would be on the balance beam doing my gymnastics or sparring with a friend just now, exercising is the key to living a healthy life.

As I continued to chug away, I watched Billy and Kat approach an associate in their teal blue uniform. They proceeded to ring up an order of their beverages as displayed from the menu provided. Within a few minutes, their smoothies were served allowing for the associate to place the drinks on the bar table.

Rocky, Aisha, and Adam spotted me the instant they entered the Youth Center. I felt my heart racing a beat. Since it had been awhile since we last spoke, I felt a bit nervous to chat.