A Different Shade of Pink Part 1: Fallen

Ever since I was a little girl, gymnastics has been my favorite hobby when it comes to recreational sports. It requires strength, flexibility, balance, agility and coordination necessary to perform. Just the feeling of going out there and letting yourself go from reality helps ease the stress that I've endured throughout my childhood. I close my eyes to embrace the rush of pink electricity flowing through my veins. I'd spread out my wings like a pterodactyl dinosaur soaring through the air above the skyline. I didn't have to think about being in the moment. A matter of hope and positivity were the key ingredients in overcoming my insecurities.

For about two years, I've served my tenure as a Power Ranger through grace, dignity, and fortitude. For once, I wasn't the ditzy girl from down the street worrying about getting my clothes dirty. The impact of serving and protecting those around me has humbled me in ways that I couldn't have imagined. My team and I have come so far in our years of adolescence I realized how much of a difference I'm making in the world. I've encountered a handful of life threatening experiences as it is. You've heard the expression that 'all good things must come to an end'? As an aspiring gymnast, this opportunity of a lifetime couldn't be any farther from the truth.

When Tommy and I were at lunch, I came across a newspaper ad pertaining to this year's Pan Global Games. The instant I spotted the article, I was ecstatic. Every few years, the event would be held to showcase a talent pool filled with young athletes around the globe competing in a variety of sporting activities. We're talking rugby, cricket, swimming, wrestling, and gymnastics to name a few. I've dreamt of this opportunity for as long as I can remember. Summer is fast approaching. With my 18th birthday coming up, and to coincide with my transition into adulthood, these events couldn't have come at a better time.

I met up with Coach Schmidt one day as I spent practicing on the balance beam at the Youth Center. He was a respected veteran at his craft having won a gold medal at the inaugural Pan Global Games. When he offered me a chance to train with him, I was stoked. No other words could describe how absurd it would be if I rejected his offer. Eventually, I came around and agreed to participate in his practice course. Throughout the next several weeks, he provided me with efficient training necessary to prepare myself for the upcoming event. From running the mile to cart wheeling along the balance beam, it was a hard day's work. I pushed myself to my limit even exceeding it to a point that wound up doing harm to my body.

Shortly after my break, Zordon proceeded to reinstate me as a Power Ranger. Losing my power coin to the likes of Rita and Zedd put me in a critical position. For the first time in a long time, I was no longer on active duty. I spent the duration of this moment focusing on school work and spending quality time with my mother before leaving for Europe. It was a breath of fresh air from the life risking duties of saving the world from interplanetary harm. I get to do the things a normal teen would do without my wrist communicator beeping so often. It doesn't help that meant lying to my folks by coming up with an excuse. But it was for a good reason. There is no chance in hell I lure Zedd and Rita into harming them. However, it gave me a moment to reflect on how much being a ranger has an impact on me as a person.

The time I spent training realized just how committed I am to my art. Utilizing my skilled talent as a means of self defense has got me to understand how gifted we are to be part of this life. It wasn't a matter of money buying happiness to satisfy my ego. My friends and I have done our part giving back to the community both as civilians and as our duties as Power Rangers. I wasn't going to trade that for anything.

As grateful as I am with the tryouts, I stood between a rock and a hard place. With the amount of passion I have for gymnastics and as a ranger, these contributing factors came close to my demise. I couldn't resist a heartbeat. Tommy came up to me deeply concerned with the state of my well being. It's weird in retrospect about how worried I was when he struggled to maintain his Green Ranger powers. In recent times, it's the other way around. Not even Zedd and Rita are to blame for this madness. The only person responsible for my health is me.