nineteen

callie

I have a million thoughts running through my mind as I toss and turn on the couch. I'm alone in the apartment, as usual. Grayson went to work and Ethan went out with Dexter. He asked me to join them, but I declined. I'm one big ball of anxiety.

Grayson and I have gotten closer over the course of this month, there's no denying that. I've never met a man like him before. Every other guy has used me for sex or drugs. They never cared about me or my future.

The conversation we had a few days ago was an eye opener. Getting expelled from school wasn't an ideal move and deep down it isn't who I want to be. I can feel myself changing.

Nobody ever cared where I ended up, I haven't spoken to my sister in so long because of that reason. If she truly cared, she would've kicked Jason out and came looking for me. But she didn't.

Grayson is genuinely looking out for me and my well-being. I still hate school, but finishing might not be so bad. I have no idea what I want to do with my future, but maybe he can help me figure it out.

The door to the apartment swings open with a sudden thud. Ethan, Dexter, and Danielle stroll in without a care in the world.

"What are you guys doing here?" I furrow my eyebrows.

"We were hanging out at the park, but it started to rain. So now we brought the party to you." Dexter holds up a beer bottle while plopping down on the couch next to me.

He shakes out his black hair to get rid of the tiny water droplets. Throwing his arm around my shoulder, he looks at me.

"The park?" I question.

"We're banned from the frat house, remember?" Ethan rolls his eyes with a chuckle.

"You didn't want to come out with us, why?" Dexter gives me a knowing look.

"I didn't feel like it." I press my lips into a line and shrug.

"Don't tell me you're in a bad mood." Danielle sighs and sits on the opposite side of me.

"She's always in a bad mood." Ethan smirks while taking the remote and changing the channel.

"What was that for?" I scoff and look at him.

"We're going to play video games." He tells Dexter while handing him a controller.

"This could be the part where we paint our nails. We already held hands and skipped across town." Danielle laughs while nudging me.

"Only if you have black nail polish."

"Don't make me run to the store and buy some, cause you know I will."

"Where's Gray?" Dexter asks while taking a sip from his beer.

"He went to work." I reply, watching Ethan set up some video game that involves zombies.

"Were you waiting here for him?" Goldie Locks sends me a teasing smile.

"No." I lie.

"I walked in on them about to kiss." Ethan says in a sing-song tone.

"What?!" Dexter and Danielle gasp at the same time.

"You almost kissed Grayson?!" She shrieks and looks back at me.

"Well, it wouldn't be the first time." I awkwardly clear my throat and cross my arms over my chest.

My mind is suddenly flashing back to that night on the air mattress. I've never been kissed with such passion before, it terrified me. That's one of the many reasons I walked out on him.