one

callie

"I heard you stumble through the door around four in the morning." My older sister, Maggie, lets out a hopeless sigh. She's staring me down from the other side of the bar where I'm sitting.

"Yeah, it was another late night." I shrug as a yawn escapes my lips.

"This can't keep happening, Callie. Our agreement for this upcoming semester still stands."

"I know." I groan while rolling my eyes.

This is my last weekend in Newfield, so I have to make my exit unforgettable. Come Monday, it's back to school with no alcohol, no parties, and no drugs. So, realistically, no fun.

I don't want to live my life as a boring buzzkill, but I made a promise to Maggie that I would try to clean up my act and not fail every class I take this semester.

It probably won't last long, but I need to pretend to put in the effort in order to get her off my back. However, what she doesn't know won't kill her.

"You might hate me now, but it'll help your future in the long run. You can't smoke and drink your way through life." She nods, knowing exactly how to rub it in.

"Yeah, you keep saying that." I mutter.

"Are you going to see Jason before you leave?"

My jaw clenches at the mention of his name. Of course she has to bring him up. "Definitely not."

It's not my main concern to see the man who claims he's a decent father. He took off when I was thirteen, leaving Maggie and I with an unfit mother, who also eventually left us.

All that remains of him is a long list of daddy issues and severe trauma that seemed to only happen to me.

Maggie knows he's done horrible things, but for some reason she brushes it to the side. Now he's back and attempting to be a good man, claiming he wants us in his life.

Spoiler alert: I don't care. After what happened eight years ago, I can't even look him in the eyes. Yet Maggie will never comprehend that. It's the one divider between us and the main reason for our conflict.

"He's actually trying, you know." She rubs her lips together.

"He's not. It's all an act." I roll my eyes again.

My sister gives me a stern look and sighs. When you grow up like we did, it's hard not to resent the adults who did a shit job protecting you.

Jason walked out on us years ago and expects a free pass back into our lives after all of the damage he's caused. How hilarious.

"Shit, the food truck is here." Maggie says while looking out the window. I almost forgot she was working. Already heading toward the back of the restaurant, she sighs. "I'll be right back."

I run a hand through my hair and look around the diner. People are happily smiling and moving along in their perfect bubble.

God, I can't wait to make my big escape from Newfield on Sunday. I need to get the fuck out of this boring town ASAP. I hate it here.

The door suddenly swings open and my attention focuses on a tall boy with headphones buried into his ears.

A Nirvana t-shirt takes over his body, accompanied by ripped denim jeans. He has decent style, which is unusual for the guys around here.

He's in his own world, bobbing his head to the music only he can hear, as he walks further into the diner. He stops about a foot away from me, fishing around in the bowl of small lollipops that are sitting on the bar.