Chapter 3: Family Crisis

“I brought friends.” Alice said as she slipped her shoes off and slipped on her bunny slippers. There were plenty of guest slippers lined up along the wall and they all slipped them on their feet. 

“Already? Welcome!” Michiru grinned. “Haruka should be home soon and Setsuna ran to to the store. Come in and make yourselves comfortable!” Alice noticed a slight glint in her eye as she looked at the group. Her smile was almost forced for a moment before she looked back at Alice. “How was your first day?” 

“Weird; It’s so different from Japanese school. I like the whole no uniform thing though.” She placed her backpack on the ground and led them into the living room before introducing everyone. “I’ll go get snacks!” Alice got up and walked into the kitchen. She could hear Michiru talking to them, but she couldn’t make out what they were saying. 

Not thinking anything of it, she reached into the pantry for some panda themed Pocky, Baby Star Ramen, Caplico and Jagariko and set them on the counter. She pulled out a few bowls and placed each of the different snacks in bowls. She pulled a tray from the cabinet and loaded it with the treats. She carried it to the living room and paused outside the entryway when she heard Michiru’s stern voice.

“It’s not time to tell her. She just watched her mother and father die! Do you really think she’s mentally stable enough for this too?” 

“You have to tell her! We’ve started to spot them around town. We need her help and she needs to be able to defend herself if something was to happen!” She recognized May’s voice. Confusion ran through her as she racked her brain for something they could be keeping from her. 

“We’ll protect her.” Michiru sounded confident and she could picture her arms crossed over her chest. 

“Just like you said you’d protect Usagi and Mamoru? Our moms told us everything, Michiru.” Jess’ voice was soft, but her words were harsh. Her eyes burned at the sound of her parents’ names. 

“This is different! They told us to protect Alice, and Alice alone.” 

“If you don’t tell her, then we will.” Trista spoke quietly. Alice couldn’t take it anymore. She had to know what they were talking about.

“Tell me what?” She asked as she rounded the corner. 

“Nothing, sweetie. It’s nothing!” Michiru said softly. Alice could hear the front door open and she turned to see Haruka. 

“Hey! How was the first da-” She froze when she saw the other girls and Daniel standing and sitting before her. Her eyes darted to Michiru.

“Haruka, what aren’t you telling me?” Alice asked as she set the food on the coffee table. 

“What do you mean, kiddo?” She ran her hair through her wind tasseled blonde hair. Alice would’ve laughed at the way Daniel slowly reached towards the snacks if she wasn’t so scared and confused. 

“You know what I mean! I heard Michiru say you three aren’t telling me something! What is it? What does it have to do with Mama and Papa? What is going on?” Alice’s voice rose higher and higher with each word. 

“Alice...We can’t tell you yet. Now isn’t a good time.” Haruka patted her head. 

“No! Tell me! This has to do with Mama and Papa’s death! I have to know! It’s obviously important! And how do they know about it? What is going on?” Alice felt tears in her eyes as her hands began to shake. She couldn’t fight the feeling of betrayal and fear that ran up her spine. 

“I wish we could tell you, honey, but it really isn’t a good time. You just have to be patient, okay?” Michiru rubbed her back but she jerked away. 

“Just tell her!” Sarah yelled. 

“Stay out of this!” Haruka’s voice began to rise as tears spilt down Alice’s cheeks. Alice looked between everyone and ran to the door, stopping just long enough to grab her shoes. She sprinted down the sidewalk, not stopping even as Daniel yelled her name from the front door. 

She ran until she reached a small park and struggled to take solid breaths. She walked over to the swings and sat down, finally taking the time to put on her shoes. She let the tears flow freely as she thought. She didn’t know how long she sat there, trying to figure out what they weren’t telling her and why they would possibly want to. She reached in her pocket and pulled out the broach her mother left her, admiring the small stones. 

“What’s the matter, little girl?” A voice said before her. She looked up to see a tall lady with bright green hair, a short black dress, and a upside down crescent moon on her forehead. 

“Nothing, I just got into a fight with my friends.” She felt a discomfort from the woman, but she couldn’t figure out why. She slowly stood up, sliding the broach in her pocket. She looked at the woman’s cold smile with trepidation. 

“Oh, that’s never good! Would you like to talk about it?” She asked, her voice cold as ice. 

“No thank you, I really need to be getting home.” She started to walk away, but the woman grabbed her arm.

“Wait! I have a question for you first.” Alice trembled at the touch of her hand. 

“What is it?” She asked quietly. 

“Do you know where the Legendary Silver Crystal is?” 

“I don’t even know what that is. I’m sorry. I wish I could help.” She watched as her face fell into a look of hatred.

“You lying little brat!” She cried as she threw Alice across the play ground. She screamed loudly as she rolled across the sand. Her eyes went wide as the woman slowly stalked over to her.