Chapter 6: A Touching Moment

“Are you hungry?” She asked as she walked into the kitchen.

“Starving.” He answered. Alice got to work cooking and Daniel sat at the counter pouting about his hunger. “Stop pouting. That isn’t going to make the rice cook faster.” 

“I’m so hungry!” He whined as she placed a hand on his back. 

“All you do is eat.” She chuckled as she rubbed his back. 

“I’m basically feeding a 18 year old boy who’s the size of a semi truck and a wolf. I have to eat a lot.” He wrapped his arm around her waist. 

“How does that work?” She was confused. He never explained the whole werewolf thing to her. 

“Well, the way werewolves are, we’re basically part man, part wolf. Long ago, a wolf became so loyal to his man that they became one. Since then, his descendants have been born with a wolf half and a human half. It’s like two people being in the same body. The wolf is who finds my mate, or the only person I’ll ever love, acts on my emotions when they get out of hand, and control my instincts. My human side is what’s in charge of keeping my emotions in check, makes sure our secret hidden, and all the other things. I can hear the thoughts of the wolf as easily as I can my human thoughts.”

“What’s the wolf thinking now?” She turned to dish out the food as she spoke. 

“Honestly?” He asked, and she could hear his smirk. 

“Yes,” She whispered as she placed his food before him.

“He’s thinking, ‘this is our mate! She’s the one! Protect her with everything! We love her!‘“ He said as he dove into his rice, vegetables and chicken. Alice froze as she was bringing her bowl over to the island. Her eyes grew wide as she felt her hands tremble slightly. An explosion of happiness washed over her as she stared at his beautiful face. 

“Really?” She whispered. 

“Really; you’re our mate, Alice. We knew the moment we saw you.” Alice placed her bowl on the island counter and dove into his arms. He cradled her close and pressed his nose into the curve of her neck. He ran his hand over her messy waves and a rumble came from his chest.

“What was that?” She laughed, pulling away to look at him.

“My wolf got really happy about holding you like this. You smell good.”  She smiled and kissed his cheek before letting go of him. She climbed into the seat beside him and started nibbling at her food. “Later we’re going to have to go get some of my stuff if I’m going to stay here.” He said before shoveling a large forkful into his mouth. Alice looking down at her purple chopsticks, blushing. 

“What are you blushing about?” He laughed.

“In Japan, when a couple starts living together it’s practically taboo.” She whispered and stuck some food in her face. She watched the realization cross his face about what that meant. 

“Don’t worry, I’m not going to try anything you don’t want me to.” He winked at her. She blushed more as he stood up to get seconds. She ate her food in silence, too embarrassed to speak. He polished off his second bowl of food and everything she had left over, making her laugh. “Ready to go?” He asked. 

“Yeah,” She said, standing up.

“Go get your jacket. It’s cold out.” He said as he slipped on his shoes.

“What are you, my mother?” She giggled as she ran up the stairs. She grabbed her panda hoodie and raced back downstairs. He took her hand in his and opened the door. “Do you live far from here?” She asked.