Chapter 13: The Calm After the Storm

“Sailor Cosmos? I’ve never heard of such a thing!” The woman said. 

“Well, memorize the name.” Alice said sternly. 

“I am Queen Barryl! Queen of thr Dark Moon kingdom!” The woman said. “Lactia! Tactia! End them!” She shouted. The two women, one wearing red and the other blue, went running at the group. Alice sent an ice attack and Sarah combined her fire attack with it. Trista and May combined their lightning and light attacks to target Tactia. Alice and Sarah were able to take care of Lactia instantly, but Tactia took a second attack to end. 

“Aren’t you a strong bunch?” The queen laughed. 

“You’re next!” Trista yelled. They all attacked her, but she deflected them, sending them back. They were sent sliding back, Sarah and May screaming in pain. Alice stood up shakily, the scrapes, bruises, and other injuries from the attack instantly healed. 

“You’ll pay!” Alice cried, waving her staff at the woman. The attack hit her, but didn’t send her flying back like her attack did to them. Daniel ran up and bit her, but she hit him with a harsh blast of lightning. He whimpered in pain and Alice ran over to him. 

“Daniel, are you alright?” He nodded painfully, staying on the ground. 

“Death blast!” The woman cried as she fired at Alice. It hit her in the chest, sending her flying through the air. She hit the ground rolling, but she didn’t feel it. The bolt of lightning left her dead, as the name implied. 

“Come on! We have to buy her time!” May yelled as they slowly climbed to their feet. They sent attack after attack at the queen, powered by Usagi’s cries of despair over Alice. Her parents watched as she encased herself in ice, this time faster than the last. The ice encasement grew larger this time as well. When it finally shattered, shards of ice went flying at the queen, hitting her repeatedly. Daniel ran over to her as she landed peacefully, nuzzling her hand. 

“I’m okay,” She whispered to him. She walked slowly towards the girls, letting them part so she could fire attack after attack at Barryl. The woman screamed at the attacks, but regained herself. She looked at Alice with wild surprise.

“I killed you!” She screeched.

“The power of the stars have given me the powers of life and death, creation and destruction. Now you will see what I can truly do.” She held her staff up at her. 

“I, Sailor Cosmos, call upon the power of destruction and creation. Grant me to power to right these wrongs and put an end to this evil. In the name of the Silver Millennium and the stars above, I will defeat you!” Alice shoved her staff into the air before bringing it down before the woman. A blinding blast shot from the end of her staff, making the woman scream from pain. Alice lifted her hand up into the sky and a tornado of darkness surrounded the queen. Alice struggled to keep the queen encased, screaming with frustration and struggle. 

“We have to help her!” Trista called to the others. They stood behind Alice, each one placing a hand on her shoulder. 

“In the name of the planets, we give you strength!” The girls called. Alice felt a wave of strength wash over her, strengthening her attack. But it wasn’t enough. The queen began to counter it, weakening the attack.

“Sailor Cosmos!” Her father yelled. She looked over to them, “We believe in you!” Tears welled up in her eyes from hearing her father’s encouragement. Daniel placed his face into her leg, giving her silent encouragement. With that, the attack grew stronger than it ever was. They all gave one final push and the woman screamed with pain. When the tornado subsided, the woman laid on the ground moaning. 

“Sailor Cosmos! You must end this now!” Sarah called. 

“D-do you mean...” Alice asked tepidly. She could only think of one attack that would finish her off. 

“Yes! It’s the only way!” May cried. 

“Alright,” Alice whispered. She turned to the woman, placing her staff in front of her face. She closed her eyes, summoning all of her strength. When she opened her eyes, she walked over to Barryl and placed the staff above her. 

“I, Sailor Cosmos, call upon the power of life and death!” She raised it up, and brought it back down over her head. The queen cried and begged for mercy, but to no avail. When the woman stopped moving, Alice collapsed to her knees with wide eyes. She watched as the woman slowly disappeared. Everything was quiet as they all processed what had happened.

“I...just...killed someone.” Alice whispered. With that, she burst into tears, crying loudly and violently, her entire body shaking. Daniel quickly ran over, holding her close. He kissed her face and stroked her hair, letting her cry into his chest. Her parents ran over to her and Usagi held her hands. 

“Mama! I’m a murderer!” She cried in Japanese. 

“Sh, sweetie, that isn’t true. You’re a hero! You saved us and everyone else the Dark Moon was wanting to target.” She purred. Alice jumped from Daniel’s arms into her parents’, sobbing into their shoulders. 

“Mama! Papa! I missed you so much!” 

“We missed you too, my little rose.” Mamoru said quietly. 

“I wanna go home.” Alice whimpered.