(27) Slow Burn

note: Quick reminder that I'm bending the timeline/ re-writing the canon.

With screeching tires, you arrive in front of the Bureau. Spencer jumps out of the car before you turned the engine off. Jogging, you catch up to him. He violently keeps pressing the button of the elevator. Eventually, you take his hand and push it away from the button.

You feel the stress exuding out of every of Spencer's pores. You want to comfort him, but you know that he cannot calm down. He needs to be angry right now. So, you just quietly stand next to him.

When you enter the bullpen, everyone else is running around just as stressed out. You throw your stuff on your desk and look around. "Where is he?" Spencer yells when Morgan enters the room.

"Interrogation. Hotch and JJ are talking to him."

Immediately, Spencer takes off in the direction of the interrogation rooms. You want to ask Morgan how he found Doyle but looking after Spencer is more important now. You're angry at Doyle. Maybe not the way or for the same reason the rest of the team hates him, but because what he put Spencer through.

Turning the corner, you see Spencer storming into the room you assume they are talking to Doyle in. You hear yelling coming out of the room immediately. When you get to the door, you see Hotchner and JJ trying to get Spencer to leave while he is berating Doyle.

"Reid!" Hotchner yells repeatedly but Spencer doesn't react. Doyle has a smug look on his face, not really fazed by what Spencer is shouting at him or how dangerously close he is to hitting him. Before the situation can escalate even further, you step into the room, earning angry looks by Hotchner who seemingly isn't a believer of the more the merrier.

You grab Spencer's elbow and yank him away from Doyle. When he tries to get rid of your grasp, he rams his elbow into your rips. You let out a groan which makes Spencer halt in his movements abruptly. He whips around and looks at you wide-eyed. The room falls dead silent.

That is, until Doyle asks: "Are you the one they replaced poor Emily with?" You don't bat him an eye, you just look at Spencer. Slowly, you step between him and Doyle. "Let's go."

Spencer blinks and eventually walks out the room, you trailing behind him. While you close the door, you take the time to flip Doyle off.

Spencer is breathing heavily, leaning against the wall a few feet down the hallway. You go to stand in front of him and clasp his face, pressing a kiss to his cheek before making him rest his head on your shoulder. He immediately puts his arms around you, crying quietly.

"I'm sorry." He whispers into your hair.

Caressing the back of his neck, you tell him: "It's fine. Don't worry."

You hold on to Spencer, even when Morgan walks up to you. He observes you, a sad look in his eyes as well, but doesn't say anything. After he closed the door to the observation room behind him, you say to Spencer: "Come on."

Holding his hand, you walk to the vending machine to get something cold to drink. He gives you a thankful smile when you hand him a coke. After promising you that he won't flip out again, you walk back to the interrogation to observe the interview.

- - - - - - - - - -

"He admitted to killing Prentiss and every charge we have against him concerning this team. Nothing else." Hotchner summarizes the interrogation.

Everyone looks disheveled, and overwhelmed. This all happened in the span of a few hours. You're the first one to ask the question everyone else has but doesn't say out loud: "Why would he do that?"