(7) Shortcut

"I shouldn't say it, but I'm starting to think I care. 

I've had a drink, you probably think my judgement isn't clear." 

Tom Odell, Hold Me

You have to use the door as leverage to keep yourself steady while you wait for Reid. Holding onto his leather bag, he comes in. Still in his shirt, slipover and jacket he wore to work.

You let the door fall shut and sink back down on the couch. Gesturing Reid to sit down on the other end of the sofa, you ask: "How did you get here?"

He sits down awkwardly, still his bag over his shoulder and shoes on. "Took the metro and walked the rest." You stare at him: "The next metro station is almost twenty minutes away."

"Sixteen." Spencer informs you. It takes you a moment to process that information. He really went out of his way to see how you are doing. You clear your throat and get up; you need to stand still before you can walk to the kitchen. Returning with two glasses of water, you hand one to Reid.

He stares at his hands, before he quietly asks you: "What did Hotch say to you?" You sigh and wait until he looks you in the eyes. "He told me that if I pull something like this again, he will suspend me." You make quotation marks in the air with your fingers. "I also have to attend psychological evaluation on Monday."

Reid huffs: "Morgan kicks down every door he sees, and he never had to go to something like this." That makes you giggle: "You're funny, Reid."

His eyes widen: "You think so?"

"Yeah." You empty your glass.

- - - - - - - - - -

"You can take off your bag and whatnot if you want." You pull your legs up and lean against the armrest to properly look at Spencer. He actually puts his bag on the floor and drapes his jacket over it.

"Did you really finish The Lord of The Rings?"

"All three." Reid confirms.

Your mouth falls open: "You're serious about the speed-reading thing."

He shrugs his shoulders: "It's useful for work."

"But do you actually remember all the details?"

"Probably most of it."

"Hm." You squint your eyes: "What's the password for the entrance to Moria?"

Reid is visibly combing through his knowledge of the books: "The elvish word for friend." He answers.

"And that is?" You grin.

Frustration makes its way onto Spencer's face when he doesn't remember instantly.

"Mellon." You tell him with a smirk.

"You were drunk a few minutes ago but you remember that?" He asks stunned.

"Common knowledge."

You point to your only bookshelf: "I got Lord of The Rings trivial pursuit if you want a rematch."

Reid springs to his feet and scrambles to get it.

- - - - - - - - - -

Of course, Spencer wins the game by a landslide. But you don't mind. You enjoy seeing the almost childish happiness on his face when he gets a question right.