Three

Heard about all the things you've been through, it sounds like you need a friend.

The day Zayn first met Harry it was a warm Thursday afternoon, a moment where the the sun had fought against the clouds and won, introducing a certain light into a home that is otherwise filled with so much darkness. He had woken up in a dreadful mood, like always, but today, today significantly more grim because it was Victoria's birthday, or what would have been her twenty fourth birthday. He spent most of the morning in bed, watching video after video of her, grateful that one of the things he always remembered to do was film and document some of their most precious moments together. He didn't know at the time, that those spur of the moment videos he had made of her, while she was being goofy, or when she was so angry to the point that it was cute or when she'd feed their baby goats with a bottle, would be the only thing that even enabled to get out of bed in the morning, the only thing that could give him but an inkling of joy.

It hurt him, it hurt him to the point that it was almost physical, having to get up and go about his day as if it was all ok, as if today wasn't supposed to be a day of celebration and joy. He remembered how she wanted the biggest party, claiming that twenty four was the last age at which you could act irresponsibly and still be excused as being young, her logic didn't make sense but Zayn didn't care, he loved her for it. But now here was, mind a fog, as he aimlessly threw corn around the field, his chickens pecking at his bare-feet, it hurt but he didn't care. The pain was good, reminded of him what it was to feel something other than the grief of losing Vic. After he was finished with his rounds he went back inside and sat on the dining table, spending the hour crying, listening to the voice mail again before looking at the clock to see it was one in the afternoon, time to take Bella out for a walk, get groceries and visit Victoria. 

As he locked the door, Bella's leash in his hands while he made his way out of the compound, Pat came strolling by, whistling happily to himself while stretching his hand out, holding a wad of letters to give to Zayn.

"What?" Zayn asked, looking between the man and the papers he was holding.

"Your mail." Pat said, chewing his gum obnoxiously and Zayn wouldn't have been surprised if it was the same gum he was chewing  from the last time they met because he surely didn't smell like he had showered since.

"Ok, put it in the mail box." Zayn said slowly as if he was stupid, gesturing towards the slit in his front door.

"But you're here innit? You can just take it from me, it's easier. " Pat said, still chewing his gum. Zayn's mouth dropped in disbelief, not able to comprehend that he was actually having this conversation right now.

"You want me to take my mail with me, because you're too lazy to make the three steps to my mail box?"

"Well, if you put it that way mate, it sounds bad. I'm just sayi-"

"You know what, I don't care. Just put the fucking mail in the fucking mail box, you bloody idiot." Zayn interrupted, stepping aside so Pat could do just that. He kept his eyes on Pat as the unkempt and scruffy man put the mail in the slit before walking back to him, "Wasn't so hard now was it?" Zayn quipped sarcastically before walking away, his social battery already been drained and he had only been outside for a mere ten minutes. He walked past the kindergarten, a part of him hoping to see Ava and even Bella thought the same, wagging her tail excitedly. Unfortunately, they had come just when the children were lining up to go back inside but he did manage to sneak a quick wave and she waved back whole-heartedly, lightening Zayn's heart ever so slightly. From the school they made their usual trajectory towards the cemetery, Zayn stopping once to get flowers from a floral shop.

"Well, well , who are those flowers for? Say I have a chance and tell me its for your mum." The young woman behind the counter had joked, clearly flirting with him and Zayn shrugged, patting Bella softly before looking up.