🇮🇳Dadra & Nagar Haveli and Daman & Diu 🇮🇳

Dadra & Nagar Haveli and Daman & DiuBy- NikkithaKJ

By- NikkithaKJ

Some of us here might not be aware of the fact that the Union Territory of Dadra and Nagar Haveli and the Union Territory of Daman and Diu are now combined to form a single Union Territory: Union Territory of Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu.

The Union Territory of Dadra and Nagar Haveli were under the Portuguese administration until 11th August 1961, after that, it was administered by the Central Government, with Silvassa as its capital.

The Union Territory of Daman and Diu were under the Portuguese administration until 19th December 1961, after which the Central Government administered it with Daman as its capital.

As a result of the legislation passed in the Parliament in December 2019, the Union Territory of Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu, located in the western part of India, came into effect on January 26, 2020

The Union Territory of Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu is a combination of four well-defined regions, namely:

Dadra, a small enclave with the state of Gujarat
Nagar Haveli, a C shaped enclave between the state of Gujarat and the state of Maharashtra
Daman, an enclave on the coast of the state of Gujarat
Diu, an island off the coast of the state of Gujarat

Daman is recognized as the capital of the Union Territory of Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu.

The area of the union territory is spread across 603 square kilometres with a population density of 973.39 per square kilometre. It is estimated that over 43% of its area is under forest cover, and over 40% falls under reserved forest. Leopards, striped hyenas, golden jackals, and many migrant birds such as warblers, flycatchers, and buntings can be spotted here. Tropical monsoon climate is prominent in this union territory.

Currently, the administrator of the Union Territory of Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu is Shri. Praful Patel.

The union territory has over 7,100 industrial units alongside the Daman Ganga river. About 85% of these industrial units belong to the MSME sector.

Marathi, Gujarati, Hindi, and English are the local languages spoken in this Union Territory.

The Union Territory has a blend of a number of heterogeneous cultures. It witnesses celebrations of several festivals, the major ones being the New Year, Mahashivrathri, Janmashtami, Holi, Diwali, Raksha Bandhan, Eid, and Christmas. Apart from these festivals, the Garba Dance Festival, the Diu Festival in December, the Gangaji Fair in Daman, Nariyal Poornima marking the beginning of the fishing season, and the Parsi New Year celebrations are also noteworthy. Almost all the villages in the Union territory have their local deities, and worshipping the local God is also one of the significant festivals.

The famous local dances of Dadra and Nagar Haveli include some major folklores and dances such as the Bhawada Dance, the Dhol Dance, the Tapra Dance, and the Tur and Thali

The famous local dances of Dadra and Nagar Haveli include some major folklores and dances such as the Bhawada Dance, the Dhol Dance, the Tapra Dance, and the Tur and Thali. Apart from these, some famous Portuguese folk dances like the Mando dance, the Verdigao dance, and the Vira dance are also prevalent in Daman and Diu owing to their history under the Portugal administration.

Since the Union territory is located around the state of Gujarat and the state of Maharashtra, the cuisine is influenced by these two states. Ubadiyu, influenced by the Gujarati Ubadiyu, a dish cooked in an earthen pot with mixed vegetables and herbs, is one such dish. Khaman, steamed chickpea cake, Gamthi chicken, Dhansak, seafood like lobster, crab, fish, and Portugal cuisine also are essential parts of the Union territory's cuisine.

A few noteworthy places to visit in the Union territory include Dudhni lake, Nakshatra Garden, Vangaga lake, Silvassa Tribal Museum, Church of our Lady Piety, Jetty Garden, Beaches in Diu. It also includes Khokidar Beach, Jalandhar Beach, Nagoa Beach, and many more. Additionally, one can visit Diu Fort, Somnath Mahadev temple, and the list is never ending!

Owing to such breathtaking sceneries and beaches alongside the majestic forts and monuments, a lot of films and shows are shot here

Owing to such breathtaking sceneries and beaches alongside the majestic forts and monuments, a lot of films and shows are shot here. Meethi Boliyan from the movie Koi Po Che starring Sushant Singh Rajput, was entirely shot in the vicinity of the Diu Fort. Similarly, Saude Baazi from the movie Aakrosh starring Ajay Devgan and Bipasha Basu was shot in various locations of Diu, including the Zampa Gateway, the Diu Fort, and the Khodidhar Beach. The fictional Mandwa village in the movie Agneepath starring Hrithik Roshan was built near Khodidhar Beach. Episodes the famous show Adalat have also been shot in Daman. Apart from these, various regional movies and shows are shot in this union territory too!

Shirley Setia, a singer from Auckland, came to be known as Bollywood's next singing sensation. She was born in Daman. Dahyabhai Vallabhbhai Patel, Ketal Dahyabhai Patel, Lalubhai Patel, Mohanbhai Sanjibhai Delkar are noteworthy politicians from the Union territory.

❀⊱┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄⊰❀

We hope you learned something about this beautiful Union Territory of Dadra & Nagar Haveli and Daman & Diu and will definitely spread a word about it to others.

Swagatam!
#ind_legion