Egg shells

Scarlet and jay were on standby, they were parked up outside of some coffee shop and it was fairly quiet in the car. Jay could sense her change in mood, it had been a while since he saw her like this and it aches his heart to see her like this. "Is that him?" She perked up and brown the silence. Jay looked outside to a tall skinny man walking past, "yeah that's him" he nodded.

He keyed his radio to let hank know they should move in, "Sarge we've got eyes" he spoke clearly into his radio. There was a static ringing before a reply came through, "snatch him" hank spoke back in his raspy voice. The pair got out of the car and followed the man, scarlet in front. "Erik dier, Chicago PD. You're under arrests for the murder of two nine year old boys..." she explained his situation and his rights as the pair got closer to him. Erik stopped walking and turned around to face scarlet since she was the one speaking and she was the one closest to him, "oh look, a lady cop. What if I just..." he started but raised his hand to her as if he was about to hit her, she flinched and moved away slightly while turning her face to protect herself.

Jay shook his head at the situation knowing he just scared her, especially considering what she was dealing with. "Don't be a prick, you're under arrest" jay pushed him up against the wall and handcuffed him. Erik laughed, "what's your problem? Women are only on earth for our pleasure..." he scoffed. Jay slammed him into the wall, "shut your fucking mouth, and grow up" he shook his head in disgust. Scarlet was stood breathing heavily, she felt like she had to be constantly walking on eggshells around people she didn't know. Erik seriously scared her, she saw Marcus in his eyes for a second but when she looked away it was as if she was a child and she was defenceless again. Jay dragged Erik away and threw him in the back of the car, "you good?" Jay smiled sadly at scarlet. She looked up at him, clearly still spooked, but nodded with a slight smile.

They both hopped in the car with Erik handcuffed in the back, it was a fairly silent drive with the hum of the engine being the only noise present. It was always silent when driving a suspect back to the district since you couldn't really talk about your day with some criminal in the back. It was an eerie silence but all of a sudden Erik decided to break it. He remembered how jumpy scarlet was when he pretended to hit her so he chose to slowly lean forward and whisper in her ear, "boo" he snapped huskily in her ear. Scarlet jumped out of her skin, once again, she thought he was gonna hit her or something.

Jay was stopped at a junction so the car was still anyways, he saw scarlet jump and looked back to Erik. "Knock it off man, what is your problem?" He pushed him back into the seat. Erik laughed, "what's my problem? More like what's hers?" He scoffed at jay. Erik leant forward again and whispered in scarlets ear but it was loud enough for jay to hear, "did daddy touch you as a kid? Angry boyfriend or something?" He growled. Scarlet held her breath and looked at the road in front of her as the traffic light was still on red. She felt the tears welling up in her eyes, "I won't think twice about arresting you for more felonies so sit back and shut the fuck up" jay snapped his head back around at Erik, his tone was angry but extremely protective of his partner and kinda-girlfriend.

Scarlet bit her lip to fight back her emotions but jay noticed the tears in the corners off her eyes. He went to grab her hand in reassurance but the traffic light turned green, he put his pedal down and picked up the speed, he just wanted to get this asshole out of his car.

When they got back to the district scarlet jumped out and watched jay drag Erik out onto his feet, Erik smiled evilly at scarlet as jay pushed him past her. He lunged at her before jay shook him violently, scarlet flinched again after the third time. She followed jay upstairs silently not really knowing how to feel. Was she angry? Sad? Scared? Hopeless? She didn't really know, all of the above fit description really well but either way she didn't know how to deal with the overwhelming sensations filling her head.

She watched jay throw him into an interrogation room as hank and hailey took over, she walked into the break room to take a minute. Jay walked out into the bullpen and saw scarlet hunched over the sink in the break room with her hands supporting her. He frowned at the memory of what just happened and went to check on her, "hey" he said quietly. Scarlet didn't flinch at jays voice since it was one of the only things that calmed her, "hey..." she turned around to face him with red puffy eyes. Jay looked at her in sadness before walking over to her and pulling her into a hug, "eriks just an asshole, and Marcus isn't gonna touch you ever again. I'll be by your side all day everyday to make sure of it" he mumbled out as his chin rested on her head.

Scarlet gripped onto him tightly before pulling away and wiping her tears from her cheeks so no one would know she had been crying even though her eyes looked like hay fever season attacked early. "Thanks" she looked up at him in sadness. Jay cupped her cheek and smiled, "I'm always gonna be here, always" he nodded and tilted his head to match her eye level.  She smiled lovingly at his care before hank and hailey walked out with a confession statement.