Chapter Four: Promises

I pretty much ran into the back corner of the place, finding my band mates. Nate, Amy and Taylor were sitting at the table when I arrived. I took a deep breath, exhaling deeply as I sat down across from Taylor.

"Sorry I'm late guys. I got caught up." I said, rubbing my temples and placing my guitar on the floor.

Nate rolled his eyes, "Doing what? Flirting with guys you don't know?"

Amy slapped the back of his head, "Shut up, Nate. Sorry about him. He's just being a bitch because his girlfriend dumped him." She smiled at me, "It's great that you made it here, Delilah."

I nodded, smiling back. We chatted for a bit before we were called on stage, "It's the Sorrows everyone!"

I walked onto the stage, slinging my guitar back on my shoulder plugging it into the amp. Amy and Taylor did the same with their bases, and Nate hopped onto the drums behind me.

I smiled, "Hey, everyone. This first song is going to be a little bit different from the other songs you might've heard from us. We all have families here. Whether it be friends or blood, everyone has a family. This song is for my family." I nodded towards Nate, who started the beat.

As I started singing, the memories flooded through my head.

Flashback:

I sat in the front seat of the car, even though I was still to young. I kept my head down, looking at the green stuffed animal in my hands. The sound of nothingness drowned out the voice of my Dad's best friend as we drove.

"Delilah? We're here, sweetheart." He said, putting his hand on my shoulder. He got out of the car, picking me up.

I put my head against his shoulder, still staring at my monkey saying nothing. My short blonde hair had barrettes keeping the longer front pieces out of my eyes. The bright white lights of the hospital hurt my eyes, and I lifted a hand to cover them. We arrived outside the door to the room, and he put me down.

He kneeled down to my level, "Dad's right in that room there, sweetie. Let's go inside and see him."

I shook my head, "No....D-Daddy doesn't look well."

I couldn't tell at the time, but there was a gloss over his eyes, "I know, sweetheart. But it's all the more reason to see him. For Daddy, right?"

Slowly I nodded, taking his hand. We walked inside the room, and I didn't know how to react to my dad. His skin was deathly pale, his eyes sunken in. I walked to his bedside, and he smiled weakly at me.

"Hello, Bugs." He smiled at me, and I didn't say anything for a moment. He then spoke again, "Is Mr. Cookie keeping you safe?"

I clutched the green monkey, Mr. Cookie close to my chest. I nodded, "Yes, Daddy."

"Good." He coughed slightly, and gave a pained look, "He'll protect you forever, sweetheart. When I'm not here-"

"Don't say that!" I yelled, "You're going to be with me forever, Daddy! You promised!" I felt tears pool at my eyes. Tears fell from his face.

He grabbed my hand with his bony frail one, "I know, sweetheart. I have to go...We'll see each other again one day...." his breath shortened at the end.

Then, there was a loud and long beep. My eyes widened, and I screamed.

"DADDY!"

End Of Flashback:

I took a deep breath, turning around, my hand covering my mouth. I finished the song, but I felt myself start to cry. Not right now. You promised you wouldn't cry again, Delilah...And promises are important.

I sniffled, wiping the tears pooling at my eyes away. I turned back around to the audience. I then smiled, "Who's ready for some happy shit?"

They cheered, and I nodded for Nate to start playing again. We played more upbeat songs before our turn was over. We sat down back at our table after Nate yelled, "We're Sorrows, Bitches!" He put his hand on my shoulder, and I shrugged him off. Taylor gave me a sad look. Nate's known me the longest, since our freshman year of high school. Taylor and Amy we met our Junior year when we put the band together. Nate knows exactly what the song was about, and Amy and Taylor are smart enough to figure it out.

"How about we get some dinner? We could go out to our favorite place-" Taylor started, but I just smiled sadly.

"Actually, I'm pretty tired. I'm gonna head home. I'll see you guys on Saturday." I said, and they waved me goodbye. I sighed as I walked out of the door with my guitar and started driving home.

I knew while writing that song that it wasn't going to bring back good memories. But in a way, I think it gave me closure. Promises...Family...Music. They're all things that I have. I wrote the song because the way I treated the Smith's the first time I met them was wrong. I wasn't nice to them at all. I was just so angry about losing my dad. It's not an excuse. But this song, I wrote it when I realized that my dad wasn't my only family.

The Smiths are my family, too. I wrote the song because although my dad will always be my family, I also have a new family. The song is about closure. About moving on, but remembering the past. That doesn't mean it won't make me cry every time I sing it.

Sure, it's been about seven years since his death, but grief lasts. Maybe I can finally move on. I have friends, I have siblings, new parents, and my guitar. Everything I'll ever need. I won't let you down, Dad.

I'll become the best musician the world has known. Just like I promised.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi those reading this! If you want to know what the lyrics to the song she wrote is, I can totally post them on here. This is an actual song I wrote, because I'm also an aspiring musician. So yeah, if you want to know them, just say so!

Also, if you want, so far who would you ship Delilah with? 

It's been fun writing so far, so thank you for reading!

Until Next Time, Byeee!