Chapter Six: Thanks

Delilah sighed as she rolled out of bed, following her brothers calls. She stepped into the room, adjusting her black tank top.

"Tubbo? Why are you screaming at this early in the afternoon?" She asked, and he turned around, his face pale.

"They're making me play Five Nights at Freddy's! It's terrifying!" He yelped, and Delilah pulled out a chair next to him.

She yawned, shoving him to the side and taking over. He put one of his earbuds in her ear, "Who do you have helping you? And which game?"

"Jack Manifold."

She smiled, "Hello, Jack Manifold." 

"We're playing the fourth one."

He greeted her back, and she laughed then said, "Well, let's beat this game in one stream, shall we?"

Delilah started playing, her eyes glued to the screen looking for visual cues and listening for audio , and mostly Tubbo and Jack kept people entertained, besides a few funny remarks she made. When she reached the third night, she smiled.

"Well, Tubbo, I believe it's your turn to play now. I have to go. Also, keep your screams down I need to practice." She patted his back hard, and he jumped.

"I know she's good! Delilah's always loved horror games. Can't stand horror movies though." He said as she walked out the room, closing the door behind her. 

Delilah grinned when the message came through that her band was moving on to the next level. As soon as they won, Delilah would have to break the news to them, though. She can't imagine how badly that might go over. Her phone dinged halfway through her thoughts.

She raised an eyebrow, opening the DM. It was from Dream. She smiled to herself. Never in her life did she expect to be DM'd by Dream. A guy she'd been watching since before he was super popular. 

Dreamwastaken: Hey, what's up?

Letthemusicsootheyoursorrows: Nothing much, sir. What about you?

Dreamwastaken: Oh you know, nothing too big. Just wanted to ask you something.

Letthemusicsootheyoursorrows: And what's that?

Dreamwastaken: Well, I've been wanting to talk to you again but I realized I don't have your number.

Delilah snorted.

Letthemusicsootheyoursorrows: Very smooth, green man. 

Dreamwastaken: What can I say? I'm great with words. It's something great about me.

Letthemusicsootheyoursorrows: True. You can get anyone to at least think that your voice is hot. 

Dreamwastaken: You can't get enough of my voice either, Delilah. 

Letthemusicsootheyoursorrows: If you show me your face on call I'll give you my number.

Dreamwastaken: Smoothe Delilah. But you said it yourself. The mystery is what keeps you here. Why would I give away something as valuable as your attention?

Letthemusicsootheyoursorrows: haha. Very funny. Here, I'll give you my number since I'm just soo nice. I'd love to hear more about how great you are with words, Kermit.

Deamwastaken: Damn, guess I have to earn a better nickname.

Letthemusicsootheyoursorrows: Don't trash talk Kermit the Frog! He was my role model!

Delilah laughed again, sending him her number. Now, if she was being honest, she knew it isn't smart to give your phone number to strangers. But right now she didn't give a shit. Besides, it's only one of her numbers. She has a different phone with a different number in case the main one she uses get all messed up and she can burn it. So basically, fuck the internet safety rules.

Around a minute after she had sent him the number, her phone rang. She picked up, putting in her earbuds and going on her laptop. 

"Hi." She said, smiling.

"Hello, Delilah." Dream replied, and she laughed a bit.

"Do you get sustenance out of each time you say my name? You say it quite a bit." Delilah joked.

"I do in fact. My hunger dies down each time I get to say your name, Delilah. It's a beautiful name, can you blame me?" He joked, but it didn't stop her cheeks from turning bright red. Thank the gods this wasn't a facetime call.

"Pfft. Well, Dream, are you going to tell me your name by any chance? Though maybe it's fitting since you just seem like a dream." She joked back, biting her lip smiling.

He laughed on the other end, "Alright then. Clay. My name's Clay."

"I'll call you Clay when you stop being a dream and become a reality. I've always wanted to visit the states anyways. I've heard it's hell." She joked, and Dream laughed on the other end.

"Not all of it is horrible. There are a few places that are fun. We could do a drive across the country and back, going to all the cool places there are." 

Delilah smiled, "That sounds like fun. We should do that when this mess is mostly over."

"We should." There was a small silence after he spoke, so he broke the silence, "Well, any new songs you've been working on?"

"Yeah! Since I've been planning on going solo for a little while, I've been writing a lot more. The one I'm furthest on is about how I don't want to be the person who I was before. About how I don't want to go down that dark hole again, you know? I mean, I was so mean and bitter and sad. I don't want to be her anymore. Sometimes, when I think I'm over it, it just comes back to haunt me." Delilah started ranting, then she laughed awkwardly, "Oops. I think I'm ranting again, sorry about that."

Dream shook his head from the other side, "No, don't say sorry. I understand where you're coming from. We all have things that we want to escape. I heard from Tubbo that you went through some things before you moved in with him. I hope I don't sound invasive."

"No, no you don't. Um, yeah. Before I moved in with them, it was kind of rough. I really only ever had my dad as a kid. And then..." Her breath hitched, "He died of brain cancer when I was maybe ten or eleven. It felt as though my whole world crumpled before me, you know? And then...And then I was sent to the Smiths as their adopted kid. Since they're my only living or findable relatives." She laughed, rubbing her hand down her face.

"I was so mean to them. So mean. I refused to eat, I called them horrible things, I even smack Tubbo when he tried to get my attention. Oh Gods, the way I treated Toby was worse than anyone else. Then I realized something. That they're trying to help me. That they've been nothing but nice to me, and this isn't what Dad would've wanted. I was making myself bitter, and taking everyone down with me. One day I just decided, I'm not going to be a bitch anymore and I'm going to be an actually good person."

He stayed quiet for a moment, and she started to panic, "Oh Gods, I'm so sorry! I have a tendency of oversharing sometimes-"

"No! Thank you for trusting me enough to open up to me like that. I'm happy that you seem happier now, and that's really all we can hope for."

She smiled, "Thank you for listening. Next time I'll listen to your oversharing rant." 

"I earned a next time. I've been blessed."

Delilah laughed, shaking her head. Idiot.