Chapter 5: Hiding

I woke up to find Squip in the kitchen. I didn't know he knew how to cook. He flipped a pancake over to the crispy, golden side and placed it on a plate.

Good morning Jeremy. I advise we start working on your goal to help me be human soon.

I sit at the table and Squip brings me the plate. I take a large bite out of the pancakes. They were probably some of the best I've had. "Wow these are amazing!" I say digging in even more. Squip smiled and sat down next to me.

I'm glad you're enjoying them.

I take another bite before asking him an...interesting question. I hope he doesn't react how I think he will. "Um...Squip?"

Hm? Something the matter?

"So...yesterday I saw you mutter something under your breath. And you said 'it' wouldn't let you have control over yourself. Is...is there something you're not telling me?" Squips expression quickly changed to a look of defeat. Like he lost a mini bet with himself. "It's totally ok if you don't want to tell me i completly understand-" I scramble out. Squip had finally gotten comfortable with me again. I didn't want to ruin that relationship. Squip sighed and looked at his hands

I used to have everything planned out perfectly. I had many teens to help, like you, with similar desires. They all worked out. I assumed you would be the same. Work with your clothes and all that jazz. (Chicago reference) But after Christine rejected you at the Halloween party, not only did it do a number on your self esteem, I had a system overload. It messed with my programming and changed my goals. Instead of helping you, I ended up...you know. Then after you deactivated me, I was in the SRC- Squip repair center. They said that this hadn't happened- well since never. They yelled at me and hurt me, telling me that I was the reason the Squips were going to be...deactivated. They were about to shut me and the rest of us down when you activated me.

He looked back up at me. A sad, yet thankful smile on his face.

You saved me and my family, Jeremy. I'll never be able to repay you for this.

I wipe a tear off of his cheek and kiss his forehead. "You don't need to." I stare into his glowing indigo eyes, as he stares into my boring blue ones. He places his hand on my thigh and I place mine on his cheek. Without thinking, our lips connected.