Chapter 11: Back

Me and River head home at about 11:30. Michael offered us to stay the night, but River quickly denied it. Something was up, and I plan on finding what it is.

We climb into bed, River cuddling up against my chest. He's not really a very cuddly person. (I use the term 'person' very lightly XD) Something was wrong. "Hey River can I ask you something?"

Anything

"A-are you ok? You seemed off as soon as Michael talked about us datei-"

Goodnight Jeremy.

"No I'm not sleeping til I get answers."

Answers I unfortunately cannot provide. Sleep now.

"Why not? You're a super computer. You know the answers to everything."

Well I never said I didn't have answers. While yes, I can easily find answers to math problems or current news, but I cannot interfere with human civilization

"You did last year-" I quickly stop myself. "I'm sorry. I forgot. But still, I need to know something. You always know what's going on inside my head. I want to know what's going on inside yours."

He sighs before speaking.

I'm scared Jeremy. I'm so freaking scared. Oncs your goal is complete, i'll be sent bsck to SQUIP HQ. Meaning they will continue with what they started.

He sniffles, leaning his head on my shoulder.

This is why I wasn't going to stop you from drinking the Mountain Dew Red. You have practically finished your goal. It's only a matter of time till I'm deactivated. I'm as human as I can get. I've formed a strong bond with you and Michael. It's going to be hard saying goodbye...

"River I promise you aren't going anywhere." I lift his chin up to face me. "After all, you are human now."

I feel a chill run up his spin. I hold him closer and try to comfort him.

Jeremy what if I do go...back. I'll never see you again. You'll forget about me-

"Never River. Never."

...thanks Jere

"Anytime."