Chapter 6: What are we?

We suddenly part. Apparently, there's something called oxygen and we need it to survive. I smile at him, probably a dorky smile. He smiled back, but not for long. He looks down at his hands. I've noticed he does this when he's unconfortoble

Jeremy...i'm clearly not just an advisor to you anymore... I am not used to human interaction and touch. Not even the average human language. I know that may come as a surprise...

He awkwardly chuckles a bit before focusing on what he was saying

So please tell me, Jeremy, what are we?

He stares at me, desperate for an answer. Like if he didn't get one, he may have another breakdown. "Well, after that, most people start...dating..." It sounds weird 'dating a computer' but when the computer is both adorable and hot, it's hard to resist. I smile and take his hand, to which he quickly takes it back, a panicked and confused, maybe uncomfortable expression on his face.

That's the thing Jeremy! I'm not human. I never will be. I'll never fit up to your standards of normal human activity. I'm a programmed computer designed to improve your life, not to be a part of it.

Squip pulls out of the chair and darts out of the room. What was I thinking? I couldn't date a freaking computer. There was something wrong with me. Everything in me was telling me to get Mountain Dew red, deactivate the Squip for good, and then forget about him, maybe try again with Christine. But still, I went outside and found Squip sitting on a hill. His dark blue hair a mess, his pale, blue cheek stained with tears. I go over and sit next to him.

I don't understand

I put my arm around him, bringing him close.

Why...why do you want me? After all I did, after all I made you do. I was a complete screw up...a-and still am...

"You're not a screw up. We all make mistakes."

Mine isn't something that's easy to forgive...

"You're right, it's not. Which is why I hadn't seen you for two years. Then when I turned you back on, I knew you had changed."

How? How do you know my intentions aren't bad? How do you know I'm not using you to my advantage?

"I don't. That's the thing with society. You may trust someone with your life, and they end up backstabbing you. You just have to trust that they're a decent person."

Me and Squip sat there in silence for a while. It was calm and quiet. We just sat, Squip's head on my shoulder. I wish time could just stop. I wish we could stay like that forever. But, my dad being himself, called us in for dinner.

Hey...Jeremy?

"Yes?"

...thank you