More Losses And Gains

When refugees started flooding in, we were forced to hoe some farmland to produce food to reduce starvation. However, no food was produced in the cold winter. The Scouts then rounded up over 200 refugees in attempt to retake Wall Maria.

Unfortunately, less than 15% returned home. My brother, Harri (L/N), was killed in the operation. He was my last family and now he was killed by creatures who I never knew would threaten humanity. His death has sparked a fire in me and I wasn't going to let that burn out.

A ways away, I saw Armin, holding his grandpa's hat, crying so loudly. I couldn't help but relate to this situation. I came over, sat next to him and pulled him in for a light hug. He was still sobbing and I had to shush to calm him down. Mikasa and Eren were surprised by my actions and actually cooed about it. I may have lost my entire family but I'm not going to lose my friends this time.

"Kids?" A familiar voice was heard. And who was it? That's right, it was Mr. Jaeger. My family and I have known Mr. Jaeger because we helped him settle down in Wall Maria. "Dad!" Eren and Mikasa ran up and hugged their father as I was still comforting Armin. "Are you two alright?" "Armin lost his Grandfather", Eren replied. Mr. Jaeger's face went from a smile to a frown. "I'm sorry to hear that. Who is he next to him?" "I'm (Y/N) Anders, sir." "Oh, I remember you. Hello, (Y/N)." We shook hands as was in a good mood despite death happening now. Mr. Jaeger asked, "How's Harri?"

When he asked that, I started to tear up immediately. "He was killed. It was all my fault. I should've been a better little brother." "Hey, you can't blame yourself." Mr. Jaeger put his hand on my shoulder and comforted me. "Anyway, I need you and Eren for a little bit." "Why's that?" "It's important." After that, I followed him and Eren to a forrest. The last thing I remember was being blacked out.

In the morning, I found myself sleeping in the most comfortable bed imaginable. It felt like home, but it wasn't. I looked outside, and I knew I was back at the training grounds. A familiar man came into my room and brought breakfast. I recognized him instantly. It was Mr. Keith Sadies.

I saluted to him to show my respect, but he laughed it off. "Save the formalities, kid. Eat up. You'll need your strength." I started eating as fast as I could because I was so hungry. "Slow down young man. Don't eat too fast. You'll get a stomach ache." I started eating at a normal pace instead. "Thank you for your generosity, Commandant." "Don't worry about it. Besides, I wanna ask you something." I replied, "Depends on the subject." "What about the subject?" "Harri is dead. He died during the operation and I don't wanna talk about that." Sadies felt sorry for me and understood what I meant. "I'm sorry, son. But that's not what I wanted to talk about. I wanna offer you a chance to live with me until you graduate."

He was going to let me live with him? I had to accept it since he's done a lot for my family and I, but I feel like I should pay him back.

"I'll move in with you under one condition." "And what's that?" "I assist you with the trainees next year." "That sounds reasonable since I've done a lot for your family." I was ready to help him with the new rookies. Since I've been around the Training Grounds helping others succeed, I think it's going to be easy to train these poor bastards.