Chapter 14: Home

Warning!!! Suicide Thoughts!!!

Clattering, one washed plate after another made its way into the myriad cupboards of the large main kitchen at Wayne Manor. Alfred cleaned each of the high-end porcelain pieces with his hands insite the chrome sink, although he was aware that there was a fully functional dishwasher right next to him.

It was a habit from the old days that calmed him on nights like this. While the composed butler showed no outward emotion, he was nonetheless concerned. Alfred knew about the danger that Batman and Robin were facing, and it was missions like this that wouldn't let him rest until they both arrived home safely. Especially after the replacement jet had taken off about an hour ago. That always meant nothing good.

Suddenly, his plain wristwatch started beeping. Briefly, the old butler dried his hands with a kitchen towel before looking at the accessory in question and pressing a small button on the side.

The dial flipped open to reveal a screen announcing the imminent arrival of the Batman, as well as the number of people he had with him. Alfred had long ago built this little trick into the existing system so that he could always prepare the coffee and tee on in time for the visitors.

And so it was now.

Happy that the number of people present did not indicate a loss, the butler finished his current activity, took out expensive beans and tee from the drawer and started to prepare the three cups of coffee and one cup of tee.

Five minutes later, with a tray filled with hot drinks, he went down to the Batcave, where the jet was already landing. When the hatch opened, Alfred could already hear Damian's protesting voice: "Let go of me! I don't require help. I can walk by myself!"

Wounded, the boy dragged himself down the lowered cargo ramp, followed by Batman, who calmly walked up to him before turning once more around and calling out:

"Clark, take the capsule out with you, please." 

Before the father forcefully propped up his exasperated son.

Alfred put the tray down on a nearby metal table and, sighing heavily, made his way to the Cave's small treatment area, where Bruce was already setting Damian down on the hospital bed.

The father matter-of-factly explained the status of the annoyed boy to the butler: 

"He has a large laceration, which probably also involved the anterior branches of the Arteriae intercostales posteriores at the 11th rib. In addition, 1st and 2nd degree burns on his hand and a suspected concussion."

Alfred nodded in understanding and began treating the boy's many wounds. The old butler could tell that Damian seemed to have been overpwered by their adversary. It always visibly annoyed the boy when he lost and this time if wasn't different.

Batman was just turning away when Alfred added: "I've put coffee on the table for you and your guests sir."

With a quick nod, the Bat thanked his butler and headed towards Clark's direction, who was placing the about three-meters-long metal capsule onto the floor a few feet away from the Bat Computer.

Bruce approached and double-checked the data on the bulky tube, before pointing out the drinks to both Clark and Diana and then began refilling the gas containers.

Both heroes went to the small table to each have a cup of coffee.

Meanwhile, Batman was replacing the last bottle and sat down in front of his big Bat-computer so he could do some initial analysis.

Quickly, his gloved fingers wandered over the many keys, initiating one protocol, after another, so that more and more data was determined.

Clark approached him, followed by Diana, and handed Bruce his coffee before he began asking questions: