Chapter 7: Demon

Menacing growls and hisses sought their way out of the ripping metal and got carried through the miles of the tube throughout the entire facility, becoming even louder as if an amplifier was conected to them. It onley made the creature inside even more terrifying.

Superman stood up in front of the Two Children, taking the precaution of protecting them from whatever was trying to break free.

But Damian had other plans. Instead of following the adult's clear body language, he ran to the control panel.  After all, that's where all the anomalies happening noe could be looked over, and just standing around waiting to see what would happen was perhaps Superman's method. But for a Robin, an unnecessary waste of time. 

Analyzing the situation as best as possible to be able to adjust. Accordingly, he now went through all the values inside the machine and also immediately discovered something unusual:

"The energy values are increasing rapidly and are spreading further and further in the form of electricity over the metal of the accelerator."

Damian looked at Clark:

"Whatever is in there, it seems to be able to produce and use strong electricity."

Briefly, Superman nodded to show the smaller boy that the information had arrived. Electricity, while something that was not exactly pleasant, was nothing dangerous for  Superman. Robin, on the other hand, was a normal human being and even his son had not yet developed his full powers. He would not risk anything.

Clark was about to remind the boys to leave again when he saw something glowing behind one of the cracks in the metal. To him it looked like an eye, its iris shining turquoise out of the darkness. However, the dilated pupil contracted painfully when it got blinded by the laboratory light and a yowling growl was heard. Shortly thereafter, several black pointy things flew out of the crack like projectiles, aiming to cut off the lights, causing only seconds later the three heroes to stand once again in the dark. However, this time they could see to some extent, because the alarm lights on the walls and desks, dipped everything in red tone and gave at least some visibility. So they also gave a view of what was now peeling out of the metal.

Four clawed limbs simultaneously poked through the groaning shell and now tore it apart in an X-shaped motion so that a black mass could now force its way out.

Superman instructed the two boys not to move. No matter what it was, hasty movements were usually the trigger of a fight. So they waited and looked.

The more this black thing carved itself out, the more Damian could make out its approximate shape. It looked like a black oval about 2m long with a long tail that added another few feet. The critter was completely wrapped in something fluffy, which Damian assumed were feathers, with thin curved spines pushing between them on its back. In addition, these turquoise glowing eyes, which stuck out behind the dome of feathers, looked almost curiously at this new environment. The growling stopped and only soft clicking and snuffling sounds were heard as the compact thing turned a little back and forth.

Finally, the fluffy something wandered a few steps forward and now spotted the three heroes. Growling, it stared at Superman, who stood calmly a few feet away from the beast and reassuringly kept his hands lowered to not trigger an attack. No one moved or said anything, but instead looked at this thing, which now ruffled its feathers a bit.

Superman began to take a step toward the strange creature as a test. He was aware from his farming experiences how to calm animals to some extent, even if these were mostly just bulls and horses. Moreover, it was difficult to read this 'animal', since it was completely covered in feathers and thus facial expressions as well as gestures remained hidden underneath them. Only the further ruffling of feathers and the fact that it was hissing at Clark told him that the creature was not particularly pleased with his first move. But it still did not attack, which showed that it reacted only with caution. While Superman could just grab this animal and be done with it, he wanted to do this as gently as possible.