Chapter 30: Downfall

The Wing-Jet's spotlights shone brightly into Dick's former apartment as Batman climbed onto the balcony's parapet.

Damian growled sourly when he saw his father. So their cover had been blown by now.

The boy was already heading toward the balcony to confront his father right away, but Tim held him back and sayed firmly:

"Let me talk to him first. You'd better go to the bedroom and take care of Dick."

Damian gave him an angry look until, however, an idea quickly occurred to him. Wordlessly, therefore, the boy went into the bedroom. He wouldn't turn Richard in so easily....

Bruce already entered the living room and looked briefly with an expressionless face after his biological son, as he disappeared behind the door, before his gaze wandered to Tim:

"I guess my feeling was right, that they were hiding at your place."

The teen sighed heavily. He didn't like acting as a go-between. Tim tried to approach the whole thing cautiously at first:

"Bruce, I'm asking you not to act hastily, but just to listen for now. You know yourself how dangerous Dick is and that he's not in your good terms with you right now."

Batman eyed him scrutinizingly for a moment before answering calmly:

"I know that quite well. That's why I've come alone this time, to resolve the matter as peacefully as possible. The way Dick is now, there's no point in chasing after him and causing immense damage. Especially since Dick himself is no longer the only problem. You are all in danger Tim."

Tim's eyes snapped open. Had he heard that correctly? Bruce would listen to him!

But then he tilted his head in confusion at the second part of that answer:

"That's good to know, but what do you mean the problem is no longer Dick alone?"

Bruce opened a hologram that showed various photos with different people. Or which at least looked like humans for the most part. Because they all had features that strongly reminded him of Trigon. Be it the four eyes, the red skin or partly also the horns.

Bruce explained himself:

"More of them are showing up. Demons. I'm not aware of the exact connections yet, but Dick's presence seems to have set something in motion and they're probably hunting him. Surely Damian and Jason have informed you of the incident four days ago."

Tim raised a brow in wonder:

"You mean when one of them had a fight with Dick and then suddenly disappeared?"

"He didn't disappear. His remains are with me in the lab and judging by the body, something ate away at him. It's not false to guess that Dick did this."

Surprised, Tim looked at him and Bruce now became more insistent:

"Tim, these demons are feeding on each other and there are more of them on their way here. I know of four more through surveillance cameras and they are all heading in the same direction. This is not something you guys are up to. You should know what Dick is capable of on his own, and from Catwoman's comments, they seem to go into some kind of frenzy when they run into each other. There is no garantie, that Dick won't attack one of you in his bloodlust the next time he meets one of them. He attacked Clark as well as his son and he had built up a similar relationship with Jon as he had with Damian. Dick may be playing by your rules right now, but it's only a matter of time before he loses control again. And what can you do about it then?"