Chapter 3: Survive

"Dick honey, don't gobble so much. You're an acrobat, not one of the circus lions." 

Reminding him kindly, his mother looked at him over her slim shoulder before continuing to scrape the pan with the pancake turner.

"But Mom, your pancakes are the best in the world. I just can't help myself there. They taste too good!"

Grinning broadly, the little boy stuffed himself full of the sweet treat again.

"Nevertheless, certain table manners also apply in this caravan. So eat slower, or you'll choke."

"Fine." 

The child swallowed briefly before turning to the other person at the small table. His father was busy reading the morning paper when he was addressed:

"Dad, can we try the triple somersault again today? I think I'll finally be able to do it this time."

 Grinning, the athletic man put down the printed paper before proudly waving his son through his hair at such ambition:

"Sure, big guy. I'll tell Ray to put up the net for noon today. Then the three of us can practice."

The little boy nodded happily at this answer

The little boy nodded happily at this answer. He loved swinging on the trapeze with his parents. It made him feel like he could fly.

Gasping for air, Dick awoke, causing his dry lips to crack. He licked them briefly, drunk with sleep, as the taste of the world's best pancakes still lingered on them, but quickly disappeared. Only slowly did his vision clear and confused he wondered where exacly he was right now. 

Dick didn't know this rocky floor, the damp walls, the shimmering water in front of him. And he just felt like crap. Every part of his body ached like a torn nerve. He felt sick, his ears were dull and he truly didn't feel the urge to move. The black-haired man just wanted to keep laying down so his body wouldn't hurt much more than it already did. But thirst kept him from doing so. 

He groaned painfully as Richard forced his body to overcome the short distance between him and the little pool and he greedily took in the cool water. Dick then lay back down powerlessly on the hard rock and sank into unconsciousness once again.

"What are you doing Damian?" 

Dick was walking down the hall with a bottle of water when he saw the little demon on the couch in front of the fireplace. Disinterested, the boy continued to work as he replied:

 "I'm drawing pictures of the current criminals in Gotham for my Investigation wall." 

Curious now, the taller one stepped closer and peered over the boys's slim shoulders. Surprised, he almost choked on his water when he could effortlessly match all the familiar faces, due to the photo-like quality: