Interrogation

Me and Matt managed to get the police to the river, but when we got there, the body was nowhere.

"You sure it's the right place?" Detective Bennett asked us.

"I can't understand it," Matt said.

"I thought you said she was buried."

"No, she was just lying down here in the grass."

"This is some joke that you're playing with your friends."

Then, an officer found her body in the river, we were at the station being interrogated by the detective.

"Did the sight of this dead girl move you in any particular way?"

"I don't know," Matt said.

"Skylar?"

"I don't know either sir."

"Were you shocked, angry, upset, did the sight please you?"

"I don't know how I felt," Matt said.

"You knew this girl."

"Yeah."

"How did you feel about her?"

"I don't know."

"Hey, I'm getting sick of 'I don't know,' you hear me. Did you love her, did you hate her, did you fuck her when you got bored?"

"She was a friend I guess."

"What do you mean you guess, either she was or she wasn't!"

"She was."

Detective Bennett got up from his desk and walked to where we were sitting.

"So you're standing there, staring at your dead friend like it's all some kind of a big joke right? Some adventure! What the hell was going on in your head Matt, Skylar, huh, exactly what, what were you thinking about, or were you even thinking at the time? Answer me goddamn it!"

"I don't know ok! You want me to make something up!?"

"No..."

The detective went back to his seat.

"I want you to tell me the truth. The body Matt, how did you figure it got in the river?"

"I don't know."

"Well take a stab huh, what do you think, you think maybe it rolled or a big gust of wind peeled off the river and scooped it right up?"

"Maybe."

"Or maybe somebody pushed it."

"Maybe."

"Maybe you pushed it!"

"I didn't push it."

"You and Skylar are the only ones was sure was there."

"I told you about John."

"John?"

"Samson, we call him John because of his last name Tollet, and you know, Tollet, toilet, John."

"That's very clever. So you two helped Samson, John, pushed the body off."

"Right, after we helped him kill her."

"Yeah?"

Matt slammed his hands on the desk and shot up.

"Yeah and fuck you too, we've reported the thing man, you act like we're guilty of some crime!"

"What do you think you're going somewhere?"

"We have our rights, you can't keep us here forever, we didn't do anything!"

The detective got up and walked to him.

"That was exactly your mistake buddy, you saw this body and you didn't act immediately, that makes you an accessory after the fact, I could arrest you right now if I wanted to, so why don't you sit down!"

Matt headed back to the seat.

"We'll talk some more."

They both sat down.

"I find you two very interesting."

The detective turned to me.

"I haven't really talked to you yet Skylar, you've been just sitting across from Matt quiet as a mouse. So, tell me, what do you know about the girl?"

"She was John's girlfriend, I don't really know her well, I moved here over a month ago."

"I know that, Brad's a good friend of mine, and he's told me you've been influenced by Matt and his friends."

"Trust me sir, I'd rather be with Matt than Brad."

"And why is that Skylar?"

"If I tell you, you'll think I'm crazy."

"Why, is there something going on at home?"

"Yeah."

"What, are they abusing you or something?"

"They put a lot of pressure on me, they think school is more important than being a kid. They go overboard occasionally. I just wish I lived with my dad than with my mom, I'm a child of probably the nastiest divorce in the history of mankind."

"It is tough I know, but we're talking about your mother, Brad, and your so called child abuse report."

Matt butted in.

"I told her if he hit her, I would beat the shit out of him."

"The spotlight is on Skylar now Matt, be quiet. Let me put it this way, there's not enough evidence at this moment to report your particular case. I'm sorry Skylar, you don't have any marks to prove it."

"Abuse isn't just physical sir, it can be emotional, sexual."

"Does Brad rape you?"

"No sir."

"Emotional abuse?"

"Yeah, it's more emotional abuse."

"What do they say?"

"That I'm ungrateful even though I'm really not, Mom talks shit about my dad right in front of me, Brad encourages the pressure. Ever since Mom got full custody of me, she became a whole different person, it made me lose respect for her."

"Isn't her word enough?" Matt asked.

"No, Skylar's gonna talk about the body now so you better be quiet."

The detective turned back to me. I felt like I was gonna cry.

"What else do you know about the body?"

"When I got a look at her, I saw bruises on both sides of her neck, which tells me her cause of death was strangulation, like she was choked to death by someone."

"Nice observation Skylar, impressive."

"I wanna be a detective after I graduate."

"Well I think It'd be right for you, you've got a good eye, that's the key to being a good detective. You know what else? Finding suspects. You have any ideas on who could've killed her, Matt said he didn't do it, you didn't do it did you?"

"No sir."

"So who do you think did it?"

I shrugged my shoulders.

"We just found her like that, we weren't there when it happened, at least I wasn't."

"Ok, I think we'll call it a night, if you both think of anything else, you come back to my office. Understand?"

"Yes sir," we both said.

"I'm gonna call your parents to come pick you up."

Our parents were called, Matt's mom came and got him. Mom and Brad came and got me, the car ride home was silent but deadly.