Cold And Messy

We walked to the convenience store but Matt took my hand and pulled me over to the side.

"What's wrong?"

"Shh, it's John," he whispered.

We saw John carrying a few things, seemed like he robbed the store.

"Wait a couple minutes then we'll go in."

I nodded.

Those couple minutes passed and we walked in, the cashier dude acted like being robbed was a normal thing for him, which it was.

"What did John want?" Matt asked.

"Tried to steal some beef jerky along with other junkfood. He won't be back for another few days. May I help you tonight?"

"Just a late night snack."

"Feel free."

He motioned for us to browse. I walked to where the freezer was and got out a couple Klondike bars, walked back to the cashier. After we paid, the cashier looked tempted to ask the question.

"Have a good night."

We went to the park, sat on the blanket and ate our ice cream.

"I would like to thank Layne for telling me about these things, they're good," Matt said like he was given an award.

"You remember the history behind it?"

"Yeah, Eskimo pies, original name was racist. I remember Sky."

"I knew Layne would tell you, he talks a lot."

"Yeah...Sky, I can't believe they would do that to an animal, a pet. What type parent kills pets to spite their kid?"

"Mine obviously. You know what Matt?"

"What?"

"Let's go to Portland, me and you, I wanna live with my dad where I belong."

"I agree, it's time."

"What about school?"

"Fuck school, it's not gonna get me anywhere."

"It will, I know you wanna do something with your life besides pot. I know you like music, what else?"

"...I could do manual labor, I'm pretty strong, I can get a job doing that."

"You got to have at least a high school diploma for it. You can finish school in Portland, or take evening classes to get your GED which is like a basic school diploma."

"For people like me."

"Matt, you're so intelligent, you helped me with math a few times the past month in class, you're really good at it. You're intelligent, you're kindhearted, soft spoken, the only time I heard you yell was tonight, and you're protective of the people who love you. The least you're asking is to get out of this shithole of a town, after Jamie's funeral, me, you, Tim, and Kim can come with us, we could file for guardianship."

"We?"

"Yes we. I love you Matt, I don't think I can find anybody else as kind and brave as you."

He smiled, his white straight teeth showing, I continued.

"Let's not worry about what Mom and Brad think, I wanna be your girlfriend, maybe wife someday."

He quickly reached over, cupped my cheeks, and kissed me. Our foreheads were touching.

"I agree Sky...I love you too."

We ended up having sex and falling asleep on the blanket. We woke up to the sound of a gunshot coming from where Jamie's body was.