Chapter 9 - Maria

Teresa orders me to suck in another breath as she pulls the last of the strings of my corset together and nearly cuts off my breathing

Teresa orders me to suck in another breath as she pulls the last of the strings of my corset together and nearly cuts off my breathing. But as my husband would say, I'm not that lucky.

I've been married to him for three weeks. In that time frame we've managed to ignore each other entirely. The first twenty-four hours of our marriage were nothing but countless fights. Since then it's dwindled down to intense glares in passing and almost no conversation. I wait until he leaves for the day doing who knows what and only come downstairs for breakfast when he's gone. Then I spend my time reading, getting to know Teresa who I've come to know as the woman Knox hired to take care of his house the day he was incarcerated, and talking to my sister every chance I get.

I'm bored out of my mind at home. Not home, I remind myself and shake my head. This place that I'm stuck in against my will. I told my boss at work that I had to take an indefinite leave from my job due to a family emergency. I was supposed to quit but I didn't have the heart because part of me believes I'll figure out a way to go back. It's wishful thinking but it's not like I have anything to lose. I'd rather spend my days dwelling over the things that make me happy than be bored out of my mind doing nothing. Three weeks of reading everything on my Kindle, cooking all kinds of dishes I didn't know how to thanks to Teresa, and online shopping have made my head combust. I'm over it already.

The last thing I want to do is go to this fancy party the mafia's Boss, Lucio Cavallo, invited us to. But at the same time it finally gives me a chance to leave the house and do something other than stare at walls all day. I selfishly hope Father is also invited and will bring Alessa. I know it's not likely because she has no reason to be there as a young girl with no ties to any Made Men but I hope for it anyway. I miss her so much.

Teresa finishes tying off the corset and walks around to face me. She gasps at what she sees and holds her hands to her chest, grinning. "Oh, questo e bello!"

I glance down myself. I guess it is a beautiful dress. It's a long black ball gown with a corset top that adds even more dimension to my curves and a flowy mesh bottom that brushes the floor beneath me. The transparent flutter sleeves have a slit in them that expose half my arms and the cloth dangles just to my elbows. It really is gorgeous.

I opted to do my own hair and makeup. I kind of laid it on thick because the process was therapeutic and I didn't want to stop. So I ended up with smoked out eyes, the intensity dimmed by a light nude lip. My hair is curled, half pinned up and half let down. I feel prettier now than I did on my wedding day but that might have to do with me actually willing to go to this event.

"Bellisima." Teresa beams at me. "Your husband is a very lucky man."

I don't bother with a response. I can think of many, many names to call my husband and they're a little too colourful for Teresa's naive taste.

She grabs a perfume bottle and sprays me all over, ordering me to rub some on my wrists, behind my ears, and behind my knees.

"A woman's scent is her greatest power," she tells me seriously. "Men are like animals. They will be drawn to it and ready to mark their territory. They're very easy, ?"