Chapter 6: Different

As the years passed on, things began changing drastically. Edward was almost always away on missions and Kaitlynn was too busy looking after Ruby, leaving Alanah to be alone, which was normally how she liked it. However, Alanah, now 11 years old, began to feel like she didn't belong here. She had heard them talking about something but brushed it off. Ruby was about the only one who listened to her nowadays, in fact, the two sisters were practically inseperable.

Alanah sat on her bed, staring out the window as the lamp light illuminated her face, her blonde hair shining. Hearing small footsteps and the door close, she turned her head. Ruby bounded over to her bed, her strawberry blonde plaits flying behind her. "what are you looking at?" the five year old asks, staring at the sky looking utterly confused.

Alanah laughs lightly, "the stars, Ru, the shiny things up in the sky" she smiles. "oh, they're very beautiful arent they sissy??" Ruby asks, now watching them in awe before frowning slightly, "sissy?"

"hm?"

"whens daddy and uncle Alphonse coming back?"

"....i honestly don't know, Ru...."

"Oh, well, where are they now?"

Alanah shrugs before ushering her sister out, "i dunno, but i think its time for you to go to sleep, Ru" she leads her sister to her room before tucking her in, "goodnight"

"Nighty Night, sissy"

---

On the way back down the hallway, Alanah was stopped by her mother standing in front of her.

"Alanah?"

"yes?"

Kaitlynn knelt down in front of her daughter, taking her hands in her own with a sincere and worried look on her face. "can you promise me something?" Alanah nods, unsure of where this was going. "promise you'll look after yourself, whatever might happen?" Alanah was confused, "...what?"

Kaitlynn sighs, "your father and i are.....sending you away for a while" Alanah gasps, moving away and removing her hands from her mothers grasp, "away? w-where?" Kaitlynn stands up, brushing her hair behind her ears, "your father and i have assigned you to go to a boarding school, it's very safe there and you will get a good education" The look on Alanah's face turned sour as she cross her arms and faced away from her mother, "i'm not going! I'm staying here!"

Kaitlynn put a hand on her shoulder, "but Al, you have been accepted which means you MUST go" Alanah glanced at her, on the verge of tears, "but daddy said that i'm suppsed to--"

"i know, dear, but you can look after yourself and learn, we need it Alanah, and so do you. Please dear, promise me..."

"NO! i will NOT promise!" Alanah stormed over to her room but stopped at the door.

"Oh Al, we'll be together again, you just have to be patient---"

"Patience! Waiting! Mother you know im not good at that so it won't work! Leave me alone!" Alanah yells and slams the door.

Kaitlynn sighs, shaking her head. "oh dear..."