chapter 6: 𝘩𝘪𝘳𝘢𝘦𝘵𝘩

═════ 𓃮 ═════

═════ 𓃮 ═════

"She won't wake up! She won't wake up!"

The terrified cries rang around the sleeping village.

Potami shot out of her nest.

The werepuma's eyes flew open in panic, though she was exhausted, muddled at the idea that she was even awake or if she were still asleep and dreaming. Her nose felt blocked and her throat scratchy, like she was coming down with something.

Confused and clumsy with sleep, River stumbled out of her nest of animal skins, wool that stolen from nearby livestock, and feathers of birds that she had caught and eaten. There was something scratching against the stone at the entrance of the cave, past the lichen, and the lingering tears from River's eyes blinked away and she fought to make out the black shape blocking the light from entering her cave.

A huge, dark figure of an animal stood at the entrance, lurching forwards as if it was going to meet her in a harsh collision. River staggered back, frightened, her throat closing around a yowl of terror. Her fur spiked on end and her eyes flashed in hostility.

They've come for me!

She was going to die. They had finally come to uphold their promise.

River choked back a snarl. She would have to keep quiet. That way she'd have at least some dignity before she died. River steadied herself on her paws, her back aching high above her to appear threatening, stepping back into the comforts of her nest as she never tore her eyes away from the large figure.

Then, shaking off her terror, she rushed forward and pounced, pushing the huge shape into the rough stone ground, digging her sharp claws into the thick, black fur of her assassin. Before she could sink her teeth deep into their throat to give them a killing bite, a familiar, husky voice called out from it, shocked and frantic. "River, it's me!" he said, kicking his canine paws. "It's Sam."

For a few moments, River didn't hear him, but soon the confusion melted away, washing away her adrenaline and fear, and she could make sense of who it was.

"Karakurt? What are you doing here?" she hissed angrily at him, leaning down so that their noses were almost touching. Sam didn't even try to fight back against her as she still had him pinned down. He knew she was a skilled warrior, and that his chances of winning were slim to none. He had only heard snippets of her war stories, and he did not desire to feel the painful sting of her claws.

"It's Sam, not ..." he huffed, shifting a little, uncomfortably at the pricking feeling of her talons. "... I came to get you for our morning patrol."

Stepping off him, River watched as Sam got back onto his paws, and she shook her fur out, clearly ruffled from what just happened. "Don't ever sneak up on me like that, again. Especially whilst I am sleeping." She sounded worn and emotionally drained already, yet the sun had barely lifted from the horizon for the new day.