chapter 13: 𝘱𝘩𝘰𝘴𝘱𝘩𝘦𝘯𝘦𝘴

═════ 𓃮 ═════

═════ 𓃮 ═════

THERE WAS A sharp, throbbing pain that pounded through her head, and the shackles chained against her wrists clinked as she shifted awake, blinking her eyes to try and adjust to the darkness of the cold room.

River hissed when she touched the harsh bruise at the back of her skull where the vampire had caught her by surprise. She was alive, then, at least. There were doubts that there'd be any physical wounds in the afterlife.

After rubbing away the blurriness of her vision with her hands, River looked to her surroundings in what she could make out to be a dungeon-like cell. The room wasn't large, but it wasn't small either, being held up by four stone pillars, and the cells walls were enforced with even more stone. The air was very cold down here.

River suspected that she was still in Volterra, most likely deep beneath their inconspicuous castle which Alice had told her travelled for miles under the earth. The scent of this place reeked of cold stone, damp air, and centuries old blood that had never been scrubbed away. River shivered in disgust. Was this the place the Volturi kept their meals? Tortured prisoners? The werepuma understood the severity of a starving vampire, but a coven of them keeping people locked up in places like this as if they were cattle was disturbing, nonetheless.

Moving her arms, River could feel how short the chains were as they tugged on the walls they were bolted to, keeping her in place. She moved her hips in attempt to sit up, only to finally realise that she was completely naked in her sapien body. It didn't bother her that she was nude, of course, but it explained why she was so cold down here with goosebumps popping up all over her skin. Unfortunately, she couldn't shift back with these stupid chains on, that would cause some serious damage.

River managed to manoeuvre herself to sit up on her legs, her long white hair cascading down her chest to hide her breasts. She stared at the iron bars at the front of her cell and felt a deep growl build within her chest.

Two male vampires stood right outside of it, both adorned with black-and-crimson cloaks, Volturi pendants hanging from their necks. River couldn't tell what their faces looked like in the dark, but what she could decipher was that they were male. Perhaps they were two of the three that attacked her in the field.

A hiss escaped her throat, and the two vampires turned their heads slightly at the noise. They both looked at each other, speaking quietly that not even River could hear them. But before she could demand anything from them, one of the vampires nodded to the other and opened the cell door, grabbing one of the chains to unhook it from its bolt. The other vampire disappeared down the hall.

Now that one of them had gotten closer, River didn't recognise him. He had dark brown hair, combed neatly. A golden Volturi pendant hung from his neck, different than the silver ones she had seen. Was he of higher status such as the guard? He also looked extremely young. Perhaps he was turned as a teenager? It didn't matter in the end anyway if he looked to be only a child, River would still kill him if she ever got the chance.