Chapter 2

She woke up from a bed. How many years had it been, that even shelter, the easiest right, came as a reward rather than a routine? For so many long years, she remembered. So many god damn long years, where all she had to call her own was a wooden plank and an improvised, self-stitched blanket consisting of varying materials which were not hygienic in the slightest. Ahd here she was, lying in a luxury her old self could only dream of, offered by someone – no, something – that barely knew her.

What wonders and horrors this world contains, both mercilessly shoved against one another, expected to co-exist, to balance on an imperfect scale. The dualities of man.

Philosophical thoughts aside, she needed to find answers quick. She had no intention of dying here (again, the cruel irony) and although the ... things had good intentions, she had learned the hard way to never trust a person by their first impressions.

She sat up groggily and with her eyes half-closed, surveyed the room. Another bed located opposite of hers was neatly folded and had white fur protruding out of the pillow. Perhaps it is best to not question things further until she could find someone.

She exited the dark room to enter a well-lit corridor. Having just awoken, she flinched at the sudden change of atmosphere, squinting until her eyes adjusted. Continuing down the hallway, she observed several paintings of flowers, and several pots filled with said flowers. The walls too bore a striking resemblance to the blossoms with a streak of beige interluding within the strictly yellow wallpaper.

As she rounded the corner, she could hear a faint argument commencing downstairs. She hid behind the spiral staircase and listened in onto what was going on.

"- human. For how long? You would think more would've fell down by now."

"Exactly. I'll notify Alphys right away. Maybe she could find a way to break the barrier with the human. I'll call Sans as well. He'd be morbid if I didn't tell him."

"Asgore, no! The poor child just fell here, for goodness' sake. Let her be. How do you even know if she's going to cooperate?"

For a while, there was nothing but silence, followed by the clanging of pots and clashing of utensils. A small sizzling noise followed it, along with a delicious aroma. Suddenly, the woman, or Tori according to Asgore, spoke again, this time at another person.

"Asriel! Wait for the human!" She berated.

"Come on, mum! Just one?"

That voice, so young and carefree... something about it made her click. What exactly, she was not sure.

"Chocolate will be up for grabs later. Now, Asriel, can you please wake the human? I think it's due time we helped her understand. Poor child must be shaken after a fall that high."

Quiet, tiny footsteps inched ever so closely up the stairs. She desperately tried to escape, but he was already facing her.

And of course, with every new encounter, an awkward stalemate occurs between the opposing parties.

"Uh... howdy?"

Her wide eyes surveyed his. An anthropomorphic goat of sorts with green, bubbly eyes stood across from her. He wore the same robe she had seen when, presumably, he rescued her from the buttercup patch. The robe was two sizes larger than him, with long sleeves dangling over his arms and a back that resembled a long robe. His physique was just as small as hers, and he himself looked no older than 10 years of age. Long, floppy ears dangled from each side of his face, and a pleasant smile was etched on his face. A single wisp of fur poked out from the middle of his head, not unlike one of a baby goat. A tail poked awkwardly from behind his back, having the same attributes as the rest of his fur.

She had no idea what to do. She was frozen in her tracks, eyes desperately trying to avoid eye-contact.

He saw through her fear immediately and reached out a paw to calm her down. Those round, green eyes stared quizzically into hers. She bounded away slightly, avoiding his touch. He did the same, raising both paws and backing up slowly.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have done that."

His snout drooped in apology. She desperately wanted to say something to him, anything, but English was apparently out of service today.

"Hgrbhrt," she mumbled out. She clasped her hands over her mouth. What on earth was she saying?"

He laughed. The awkward atmosphere slowly dissipated as both parties began to regain control of their emotions.

"What's your name?" He asked. Such a simple question, and yet she did not want to respond. She was paranoid and distrustful, even to this seemingly harmless goat boy. It's all a façade, she kept on telling herself. If you let your guard down even once, they will tear you to bits and feast on your organs. Like them.

However, the mouth moved quicker than the brain.

"C- Chara."

Fuck! She thought. Mouth, you backstabbing bastard!

He took no notice of this internal conundrum. His response was enthusiastic.

"Chara? That's a nice name. Mine's Asriel. Asriel Dreemurr."

He held out his left paw. Cautiously, I took it. It was strangely warm and pleasant, though Chara would not admit it.

"I know you probably have a lot of questions. Trust me. I do too. Follow me, Chara!" Asriel bounded down the stairs with a skip in his step. There, two older versions of Asriel, the left male and the right female, waited patiently for her. Chara smiled. Wherever she was, there was more pure-hearted compassion in this very scene than the last 5 years of her life. What did she ever have to fear?

Everything she ever wanted was here.