Chapter 15

"I mean, I get it. It's hard to entrust your life to the hands of someone you barely know. But I trust him. And I have a feeling that you trust me."

The dim lights of the inn and bar illuminated the snowy surface. Snowdin was relatively empty, sporting no more than a few commuters that were either traversing said town or hanging around, having little else to do in their lives than to wait for the completion of New Home. Some passer-bys glanced at the odd combination of the prince and a human, but they both got used to it, eventually.

"It's not that I don't want to, Azzy. Believe me, I really want monsters to see real sunlight again, whether that may be for your sake, or theirs. But... I have a hard time accepting that my fate, and along with it the underground's fate, comes down to... him."

The duo paused as the decorated house revealed itself from the shadows. The Christmas lights were still on and flickering, despite it being closer to Easter than said holiday. Chara guessed it was either Papyrus' way of being symbolic about eternal snow, or Sans just not mustering enough energy to climb a single ladder.

Asriel donned a small green-yellow winter cap that fit perfectly on his head. It held the same nuance the crown had when placed atop Asgore's, albeit three times more adorable.

"Chara, I trust Sans with my whole body. After all," His eyes looked wistfully at the front door. "he saved my life."

Before Chara could ask a dumb joke question such as 'literally or metaphorically', Asriel knocked on the oak ingress in front of them, causing several yelps and screams to emit from the other side. The clashing of metal pots and pans could also be heard faintly, along with the distant trousle of bones.

Chara and Asriel laughed, imagining the mayhem inside. Their serious talk was long forgotten. After all, they both were children at heart.

"Sans! Wake up! The human and prince have arrived!"

Papyrus was sporting his signature red scarf and a 'sleek' pair of orange jammies (courtesy of Papyrus-speak). Sans rolled lifelessly across the living room, amusing the dogs who began wagging their tail. Papyrus was less amused. He began wagging the spatula in the air again, which caused Sans to repent his actions.

The door creaked open to reveal Chara tugging at Asriel's right ear, and the latter was trying to scurry away. They both froze like robbers caught in the act in the movies.

"Uh, hi, Papyrus," Asriel said, praying to God he had not been caught at his most vulnerable moment. Unluckily for him, that was not the case. Luckily for him, Papyrus did not seem to care in the slightest.

"Prince! What a pleasant surprise. My brother is inside, as usual. For his exact whereabouts, he is somewhere on the floor. That lazybones cannot even walk two feet to sit on the couch." His expression filled with disdain. Sans could be seen sitting upright behind him, smirking contently.

Asriel and Chara walked once again into their homely abode.

"Sans, I assume you have to brief the human about something?" Papyrus asked. It was more a statement than anything. "And please, no more of your tomfoolery when there are guests. We must look our best! Well, I am already the embodiment of 'best', being the Great Papyrus and all."

Chara depicted the word tomfoolery as Sans' puns.

Sans chuckled and shrugged. "you're the best, bro."

On that happy note, the four retreated into the kitchen, where the sweet aroma of Spaghetti awaited. Chara, if she was less in the known, would have most certainly taken a bite. Don't let first impressions count, though. They were more resemblant of a nuclear missile than the typical Italian dish, regarding their danger level. In many ways, they were like buttercups. A poisonous heart obscured by a welcoming aesthetic. Chara didn't like the analogy.