Chapter 22

"So he remembers something, after all."

"Or, perhaps, it's just a coincidence. In that case, great minds truly think alike."

"I'd say he's well ahead of his time, except for the fact that that is factually incorrect."

"It's almost painful to see how the staggering the loss of knowledge is compared to time without... us."

"Lies and deceit. Everything is covered with a thick fog of falsehood. It is not a matter of who tells the truth. It is the matter of who tells the lies best."

A faint shuffling, followed by silence. The voice, or voices, grumbled at the slightest feeling. It was unsure whether the sounds were made by a single being, or a symphony of others.

"They're back."

"How'd it go?"

Then, a voice, louder than the others, asserted his preeminence by his authoritarian tone. "Shut up, all of you. I'm trying to concentrate."

As if on command, the silence was uncontested, except for the groanings of a man who wanted coffee. He was quickly silenced.

"The machine is complete, at the expense of knowledge of our creation. As long as we keep our promise to him, nothing should go wayward."

The sound of half a soul rumbling filled the void with nothingness.

"The anomaly. Yes. What about it?"

Another silent rumble.

"...Yes. The first child of determination and the angel prince. And?"

The man sat down on thin air. His window to the outside world was contaminated with light. He himself seemed so more distant, more distraught.

"You're telling me... that the fate of this worldline rests on the whims and emotions of two children. The illusion of remembrance, the nostalgia of pain."

He seemed mortified at the very suggestion of the idea. Half of him understood not what was too be scared of, the other half shook in agreement.

"Perhaps he was right- no. I will bow down to him when the void freezes over. I will make sure of that." He contradicted himself, sprouting a smile to form in his cracked face. As long as there is chaos, there will be order, he thought. The voices once again banished themselves from their main advocate.

"There is logic to psychology as well. His words mean nothing to science. If the two that are fated to die do not due to their 'determination', this could turn out to be very, very interesting. Or, in this case... their lack of determination to move on from the past."

He shuffled around. The light from the window grew ever so closer. Not enough to contest the dark, but close enough for him to see daylight for the first time in millennia. Bits of him squirmed under the pressure of it, but others vibrated in awe. His cracks cemented.

"Now? We wait. We wait for time to come to us."

He peered into the light above. An eye that sees all. And he swore to himself that he would see the light of day. No matter the cost.

And two anomalies saw eye to eye, worlds apart.

Chara looked at the Delta rune symbol as she and Asriel lay in the garden of flowers. It was well manicured, as both Asgore and Toriel had a soft spot for their golden tint, their aromatic smell. And, slowly, but surely, Asriel began to see the bountiful rewards a flower can give. Whether it be reassurance or an escape.

Chara looked around, chocolate in hand. Asriel seemed to be enjoying himself. He had brought a slice of snail pie with him, which explains that. No need to ruin the atmosphere. After all, that blink was most likely a trick of the light. An illusion.