Don't Run

When I woke this morning everybody was already awake and up doing stuff. Fuck, i hate being the last one awake. I got up as quickly as i could and made my way over to the shore line like i do every morning to splash my face with water and get out all the eye gunk from my face. Although these past few mornings have been even more tense than usual, the food situation since the rancid sea food had only made it worse. We ran out of nuts yesterday leaving us with only berries now which we're going to quickly run out of if that's all were eating. I've been trying my best to leave the real food for them but after five straight days of being high from solely eating eddibles I was exhausted. Not to mention that it's no fun being high when you're in a bad mood.

Shleby and I have gone from can't spend a moment with out the other, to being lowkey thirsty for each others attention, to now which is 'not speaking a word to one another. I had literally not said a word to her nor her I since that day. figuring out i'm in very deep with her, well past friend ship, has given me the opportunity to take a step back and not make the mistakes I always seem to fall into. Me being around her is just bad news. No matter how beautiful she is just about all the time, how funny she can be, sweet and caring, okay maybe i'm not as over her as i would like to be.

"Hey ." I hear Waverly greet me, pulling me out of my thoughts about Shelby.

I turn around and look as she walks her way over, "Well you seem to be doing better." I respond optimistically with a tooth brush hanging out of my mouth. Yesterday was a hard day for waves, she just kept snapping at everyone for the littlest things, calling everyone immature, and complaining how she's stuck on an island with a bunch of morons.

She graciously hands me a bottle of water that I use to rinse my mouth. "Yeah, i wanted to say sorry about that. I think i'm just hangry."

I swish the water around in my mouth before spitting it into the ocean, "eh i figured as much, you were really flipping your shit."

"hey, watch it," she snaps at me. i shoot my hands up in surrender not wanting to get yelled at again by her. "Hehe, sorry, i think i'm still a little hungry." she nervously explains.

"It's fine waves. I think we all know it's been a little stressful these past few days." I look back over to the shore watching while Shelby feeds the fire.

Waverly being Waverly picks up on my sad bitch energy, i don't even know how she does it, i really don't think i make it that obvious. "You thanked her yet for saving your life yet?" she asks pulling me back to her.

I poor the fresh water over my tooth brush and swap Waverly for our 'cleaning rag' which is just one of her old shirts. "No, she almost killed you." I try rationalizing again to her.

"Skyler you're seriously still mad that she thinks you're a person worth saving?" She questions me as she begins brushing her own teeth. Damn, our hygienic boundaries have really gone right out the window since being here. I mean i really don't care we've all been practically sharing a tooth brush since they lost both of theres in the sand.

I scoff at the thought, yeah, Shelby doesn't care, that i know for sure. "Yeah she cares that if i died you'd be the only person left here with her."

"Get over yourself Sky, she might be a bigot but even you have to give her more credit than that." she snaps at me. I hand her the water this time so she can rinse out her mouth. Waverly is all about that tough love right now, I really need to figure out a way to get some food in her. She spits the water out, reaching for the wash cloth "I care about you too ya know." She adds, placing her hand on my shoulder whiping of the side of her mouth discretely trying to not lessen the gesture.

"Thank you waves." I genuinely add. We both finish up and Waverlys the first to turn back towards the beach. A big wave approaches the shore unbeknownst to her, "Hey, watch out!" I shout but it was too late and she turns around just in time for the wave to crash down on her. I run over to her and help get her up on her feet. She pulls the wet hair out of her face looking a little upset that she got wiped out. "Didn't your mama ever tell you to never turn your back on the ocean?" I question her, my southern accent slipping in a little bit.