Chapter 1 - Making Points

Brothels are like politics. They are dirty, wasted, sinful, and no place for a woman.

Her father told Giulietta that on more than one occasion, vividly reflecting the general opinion of society. For that reason, the young woman set her mind to drastically change that widespread attitude - starting with brothels.

"By the end of this carnival season, Cecilia wants to see her son married," Alessia announced confidently, giving her friend a meaningful gaze through her long light lashes. She raised her gloved hand intending to play with her loose honey-brown curl, but quickly caught herself, as usually suppressing any gesture that might be interpreted as nervousness by their observant audience.

During the past six months they had been coming here, her body visibly lost tension, the subliminal picking of her dress stopped, and she developed a nonchalant look in her eyes, even though she was still painfully aware of the penetrating stares in the direction of the only two women in the entire room. If Giulietta didn't know any better, she would think her friend finally became comfortable in this environment.

Processing Alessia's revelation, she let her gaze wander over the dark wooden walls, the elegant black leather chairs, the silver wine cups. It was not surprising that most important politicians and heads of Houses unofficially met here, at the place suitably called "The Salon", to discuss business. Therefore, she rightfully belonged here.

"This is your chance to find your sisters proper husbands," Alessia clarified, indicating one obvious candidate for a 'proper husband'. Expectantly, she eyed Giulietta from across the dark oak table, her head slightly tilted in anticipation of an answer.

Giulietta nipped thoughtfully on her wine allowing its sweet bitterness to play with her senses. She had already thought that far. Ever since an official announcement had been made from the Doge Palace earlier that day, it was the only topic on every Venetian's mind.

"The Doge is delighted to open this carnival season with a glorious festivity. All eligible women of marital age from the Old and New Houses including their families are officially invited to join the Doge family for an anonymous masked ball," the invitation formally stated.

Giulietta ran her bare finger over the artful lettering on the handkerchief-sized piece of paper. "Why the urge?" She finally voiced her thoughts, still trying to get into Cecilia's head. "He is no girl to marry at such a gentle age." This woman had a reason for everything, so Giulietta had no doubts there was a hidden intention behind the act of marrying off her only son at the young age of sixteen. And if there were anyone who knew about it, it would be the young woman across from her.

For a second, Alessia froze on her spot. Then she looked straight into Giulietta's eyes, gaining control over every last of her youthful features. "The Doge shall never appear in public without company." She recited in a low voice giving meaning to every single word.

Giulietta sighed. She understood that Alessia couldn't give her more precise information about Cecilia's plans, but inaccurately citing the constitution didn't help either. This ancient law justified Cecilia's omnipresence since the wife of the current Doge hid from the public eye. Instead, he made all his official appearances with Cecilia, his daughter in law, who evidently had a lasting influence on the Doge's life and with it the entire Republic of Venice.

For some, Cecilia was the incarnation of a Goddess, leading the Republic to the new age, while for most Venetians she was just a thorn in the eye for she indisputably disrupted the century-old system. Giulietta still hadn't quite made up her mind about the unofficial Dogaressa, though she couldn't help but be intrigued by her view on this world. It also certainly helped her situation that almost ten years ago, Cecilia achieved an amendment in the constitution allowing every first-born child to become the Head of its House, disregarding its gender. Unfortunately, the reform didn't sit well with Venetian society and so far, every first-born girl had been forced to refuse her title in favour of her younger brother. It was a man's world.