Chapter 5

In a mix of confusion and anger, you whispered, "How did this even happen? I was only gone for a few minutes!"

"We were just talking, we didn't even notice!" Eddie insisted, waving his hands around in distress. "I looked back, somehow he hung himself with his tie!"

"W-we need to tell Mello." Pedero said, still in shock from seeing the dead body laying on the chair.

"You're right. Let's go." you said, rushing to the stairs. You had a strong feeling Kira was behind this. The death of the director could mean many things, but you couldn't help but wonder if Kira could be someone with a prominent and respectful standing in Japan. Otherwise, how could he have killed the director? And if it wasn't Kira, why would Takimura have killed himself? A multitude of thoughts and questions ran through everyone's minds.

Pedero followed behind you, the two of you rushing to where Mello was.

"Yeah, that's right." you heard a man say. Sitting on the couch were Fiona, Mello, and Rod.

"B-boss!" Pedero shouted, grabbing the attention of everyone in the room.

"Shut up! Can't you see that I'm busy?" Rod replied, clearly annoyed.

"I'm sorry. But Eddie and I were talking for a minute, and Takimura - he hung himself somehow, with his tie."

Mello immediately turned to look at you. "Is this true, Y/N?"

"Y-yes. He - he's dead." you replied, looking him in the eye.

Fiona looked at you with wide eyes, but said nothing. On the other hand, Mello's expression was impossible to read.

"What's wrong with you?" Rod yelled. "Just great! What are we supposed to do with a dead hostage?" The anger in his eyes caused Pedoro to slowly back away.

"No, this'll be just fine." Mello told him.

"What are you talking about? We have no means of leverage!" you said to Mello, surprised at how well he was taking the situation. There was no way he could be this calm, especially after your closest connection to finding the death note was gone.

Mello took a bite out of his chocolate, thinking deeply.

Glen was the first to ask him, "So what are we gonna do, Mello?"

"I'll tell you what we're gonna do," he replied, still facing you. "We're gonna kidnap Soichiro Yagami's daughter, Sayu Yagami."

"What? No, you can't! She's far too young to be dragged into this mess!" you spoke out, everyone turning to look at you.

"It doesn't matter. Y/N, I thought you were serious about this. She's the next best choice."

"I am! I just don't think she needs to be involved." you replied, hotly.

"It doesn't matter what you think. We're kidnapping the girl, and that's final." he shot back, taking another bite of the chocolate bar.

You glared at him angrily, then stomped out of the room. Though you knew he had a point, it was still unnecessary to cause harm to a girl this young, she had nothing to do with this. Just because her father was involved in the case didn't mean she had to take any of the repercussions of their actions.

It seemed Mello realized how upset you were, because you heard him call out, "Y/N, wait!"

"What do you want? I'll do the job, even though I don't agree with it." you muttered bitterly, continuing to walk down the halls, as far away from him as you could.