Chapter 1: The Past

17 Years Ago...

Euphrasia's POV

I wipe my tears away. It's really painful to receive hurtful words from your parents. I don't understand why they are against me and Enrique. I just gave birth yesterday to our first baby, but they didn't even show support for us. They are not even happy that they are having their first granddaughter.

"Liwanag, is being an Amherst truly a curse?" I asked the maid. She has been serving this family for three years.

"Madam Euphrasia, just don't mind what they said. It will not be good for you, especially that you just gave birth yesterday," She said.

I gave birth in this room, I wasn't even brought to a hospital. It was really hard for me.

"If there is only one thing I can do," I sigh. "Even my mother in law is against us. She even threatened to treat my baby like a trash, like it's not her granddaughter,"

"You can try to leave this mansion. Leave this family, Euphrasia," Someone suddenly said.

It is Solange Archer. She's my best friend. The only friend I have, the one who I can trust the most. She also gave birth to her son one month ago.

"Madam Solange, you have a son and you know it's not a good idea. I feel sad for the baby, she's gonna grow up without her mom," Liwanag said while carrying my baby.

"Shut up, you have no right to talk," Solange said then she walked closer to me. "Euphrasia, if you don't want your baby to suffer in this family, you have to be away... Go away as far as you can. Or better yet, move to another country,"

"I don't think I can do that. What about Enrique? I'm sure he wouldn't want us to leave," I said.

"I'm not saying that Enrique is coming with you,"

"What do you mean?"

She smirked. I don't feel good about her smirk. "Leave...with the baby with you,"

-

Those words keep running on my mind throughout the whole night. I couldn't sleep.

"Shh, sleep now," I said to my baby. She keeps on crying and crying.

I look at the wall clock to see what time it is.

2:59 am, January 2

I can't wait until the morning. It is the day that Enrique will finally come home from his Spain business trip, after 5 months. I can't wait for him to meet our daughter for the very first time. I can't wait to tell him that it is a girl, and share our ideas what to name her.

"Euphrasia, if you don't want your baby to suffer in this family, you have to be away... Go away as far as you can,"

"Leave... with the baby with you,"

Enrique is rich and I am sure he will give my daughter a very great life. I can't take that away from her.

I am about to stand up and make her milk when my phone rings. I pick it up, so excited that I thought it's Enrique, but it's not.

Solange calling...

Why is she calling at this hour? It's 3 am!

"Solange?" I answered.