Chapter Nineteen;;

" So when did you meet Jericho exactly?" I asked, popping an m&m into my mouth.

Nick shrugged, a strand of his hair falling from beneath the hold of his beanie. His fingers mindlessly drummed against the worn leather of the car wheel, generating a beat to a song I couldn't hear, " I don't know. we've known each other forever, really."

" He's your best friend then." I mumbled, chewing another candy while looking out the window.

" yeah. Sometimes." He replied, an amused smile playing his lips.

taking the small brown packet into my hand, I brought it to my lips and tilted my head back, pooring a small collections of m&ms into my mouth. While they rolled on my tongue, I thought about the time Jericho had blatantly cheated on his girlfriend. Starting to chew, I thought about the time he drove to california for my grandmother's funeral. My eyebrows drew together, " he confuses me, to be honest."

Nick flicked his gaze to the left as a car started to drift towards the center of the road, then back to the right. Finding an opening, he passed it, " he's a confusing guy I guess. Jericho has his own way of dealing with things and he's been through a lot."

" Fair enough." I replied, tossing the empty m&m bag towards the trashcan - and missing. Then, turning my body towards Nick, I asked, " How long till we're there?"

He sighed, " another hour or so?" He made a face that said he wasn't sure.

Resting my feet on the dashboard, I popped my fingers, " yeah, alright. I spy?"

Chuckling, he said, " I spy something...... long."

" dammit Arson, if it's your dick-"

" no no. not this time, anyway." He shot me a cheesy, award-winning smile.

Rolling my eyes, I looked out at the scenery in front of us, " Uh.... the road?"

" well that was quick?"

" Can you see any other long things right now?"

He smiled, childish as usual, " This is where my dick comes into play."

Hitting my head back against the headrest, I groaned, " I walked right into that one."

Nick chuckled to himself, flicking on his left blinker to hit an off ramp. Memory told me that Jericho lived in a fancy little cabin house, one that sat right along a salty lake and found itself in the middle of a cluster of trees. I couldn't really remember the colors, or anything too detailed; it was dark and party lights were practically consuming the house.

It was quiet for about ten minutes before I asked, " are we there yet?"

" not yet." Nick said, frowning.

Another two minutes.

" are we there yet?" I tapped my toes together, playing with the tips of my hair.

" Not yet, Angel." He said, his thumb rubbing the wheel.

Three minutes.

" Are we there yet?"

He groaned, " no, Angel, not yet."

I gave him the benefit of the doubt, waiting a full five minutes before asking, " How about now? are we there yet?"

He eased his foot on the break, " yeah. I'll just pull over and you can get out and walk. Call me when you get tired." He flashed a faux darling grin.

I glared at him until he brought the van up to speed again. Then I asked, " are we there yet?"

Nick turned the radio all the way up. The beat bounced the walls of the van and rumbled in my eardrums. naturally the centre of my body swayed slightly to the sound. Nick patted along with the rifts, his fingertips playing the leather wheel like a piano.