Chapter Fifteen;;

That was the day.

I invited people from her nursing home, a few of the nurses and the elders. I asked around the place to see if she had any outside friends. She didn't. So I invited Gavin and reluctantly Ellie. Nora was coming for sure. I invited Chasity, promising to skype her through the whole thing. That was it.

Nick woke me up and said, " unless you have a black dress, we're going to have to go shopping."

In the mustang, I was having troubles breathing, so I made him keep the hood up. Air conditioning blasted me, and despite my shivers I still felt hot. It would make the fact solid, concrete. She would be gone, and I would be the last person in my family. By blood, I reminded myself. He pulled up to what looked like a mildly fancy place, and even opened my door for me. I had the decency to thank him but couldn't brave a smile. I felt like I was five again.

Inside the store was beautiful. Finding black dresses wasn't hard, but finding one I felt suitable was. The dress I liked most was partially lace, the arms and shoulders of it all somewhat transparent through black patterns. The lace wrapped around my wrists and tappered off on the back of my hands just slightly.

It hugged my ribcage and upper back firmly, and because loose close to my hips, where it fanned out gently down to my knees. When I walked out in it, Nick's eyes widened a little, " You look.."

" Black's a flattering color." I said, watching the floor. I wasn't a self concious person, but suddenly my cheeks got hot and the air felt heavy. It was like I was nervous, but about his thoughts. Things like, did he like the dress? was it too simple? was it too much? ran through my head.

He arched a brow slightly. The way his eyes took in the dress wasn't sexually, not hungerly, but he had the eye of an artist. His eyes met mine, " you look beautiful."

I smiled faintly, and said, " thanks... so this one works then?"

" definitely." He gave a nod, and stood.

I changed out of the dress, got simple black heels that covered my toe and heel and had a strap around my ankle, and bought a black bow for my hair. Nick insisted on it, not a large on but just a minor detail. Then he bought me a necklace.

It was a simple white silver chain, slim and bright, with a beautiful charm. It was a white silver bird, hung on the necklace by it's side with it's wings extended. It was a fine bird, with wings that tapered out to a point and a tail that thined on each end tail feather. If I got close to it, I could see all the fine details of the bird, the eyes, the beak, a highlight of feathers. It was, as said before, beautiful.

Nick had insisted. I fought, not hard, but tried. He didn't have to do that, but once he placed it around my neck, I didn't want to take it off.

Finding him clothes was a different matter. Everything he put on he looked good in. I had decided he should have an all black suit. Black dress shirt, black coat, black dress pants. Buttoned once on the coat, polished black oxford dress shoes. black vest between the black pressed shirt and coat, black tie done around his neck.

In his full attire, he was stunning. Arresting, was a good word to describe him. Nick put his hands in his pockets nonchalantly. Without thinking, I grabbed his wrists and pulled them out of his pockets, " stop. Stop being so attractive. Like, magically become unattractive, okay?"

Nick tilted his head back and laughed. His rich voice cupped the sound of his laughter too well, and I gritted my teeth. I didn't think he even realized it. The lady working behind the desk looked up to see where the sudden sound was from and went a little wide eyed. She quickly looked back down at her magazine. I narrowed my eyes in her direction, my eyebrows drawing together, and turned him around, " Go back to your normal clothes please."