Prologue: Raiden Mei

Raiden Mei is a woman of an unclassified human species who hails from a planet in the Heleus Cluster – planet Elaaden, to be specific.

Elaaden is a moistureless, sweltering landscape covered by a large number of cover-subsidence sinkholes, though it still supports life to a limited degree. A colony of turtle-like aliens called the "Krogans" is here (the city of New Tuchanka), along with what appear to be abandoned mining facilities, scattered outposts, and camps.

In Mei's world, she has learned to adapt to the harsh environment of Elaaden, making friends with the Krogans and hunting down fearsome Behemoths that would otherwise threaten Krogan civilization. Mei also finds and captures Bugsnax as viable food sources for the Krogans (which is why most Krogans have at least one Snax-mutated body part after a meal).

Mei is a Herrscher (specifically the Herrscher of Thunder) – a human being that gained extraordinary powers from a geomagnetic space storm within the Heleus Cluster known as the Houkai – and the Krogans know of this. According to the Krogans, Herrschers are demigod-emissaries of the Krogan deity Vaul, a god who stood watch for the enemies of his pantheon. This caused the Krogans to believe that the Houkai is the holy domain of Vaul, and that the Herrschers have come to protect them from the Behemoths that threaten their survival.

Mei once met with a member of the Magic High Commission, Omnitraxus Prime, who, alongside Sangheili troops, visited Elaaden to study the planet's elemental energy reserves. The Magic High Commission is a wing of the Mewni Imperium of Saiyans based on the Heleus Cluster that focuses on magical research. Omni conversed with Mei about how a group of brave soldiers from the Ooo Star System managed to help the Imperium protect planet Mewni and its sister planet Kricktria from an invasive species known as the Akrid.

Akrid – now that's a term that Mei has never heard of before. Omni explained that the Akrid are invasive species, akin to Behemoths, which take the form of insectoid reptilian creatures. Akrid creatures feed on and manipulate unknown energy known as Thermal Energy (or T-ENG).

But that's when, due to her Herrscher abilities, Mei senses a magical disturbance in the Ooo system. The anomaly originated from Firebase Z, ruins of a military base within the Elder's Recess on planet Sera. The base ruins have been emitting an excess of Umbral energy, originating from a Warp gate in the depths of the base, that attracted Behemoths attuned to the Umbral element, like Riftstalkers, Nergigantes, and Magnamalos.

After the conversation with Omni, Mei realiszed that she cannot attempt to investigate the anomaly at Firebase Z alone, so she devises a plan: she contacts 6 young women on Omegle on her computer in order to assist her on her journey to Firebase Z...