Chapter 12: Omar Hebab Stables

It's been a month. Hal kept counting the days after her last emotional outbreak hoping she got her emotions more in check, than before. She fought urges to slam people on to walls, but her mind was so open that she felt more mental slaps at her. People were still in fear, but she slowly understood their pain and chose to take Zee's route of peace.

She sighed as she followed the rest of their class out of Oskaron. Today's lessons were held in the stables. The topic circulated on the domesticated equine Realm creatures, which were bred in GEOS these days.

"Welcome to the Hebab Stables, named after the late professor and Luine, Omar Hebab. We would be entering the stable that holds RealmEquine Species from around the globe." Professor Vanaspati said.

Hal rolled her eyes; horses reminded her of the farmland, and she wasn't a big fan of that now. When she was a kid, her dad brought her to a small town and taught her to ride horses. Without him knowing, he was teaching her how to mind read with animals, "You have to stare in the horse's eyes, and open your mind. Imagine that he's a friend and he will guide you on your journey." She pressed her palm on the horse's forehead, and knew then she was different. When she tried that same trick in a zoo excursion, she got taunted, and soon became the angry Hal she was. Being here reminded how much of a freak she was.

As the tour began, she realized that Lesedi Ngoma and Sef Young were in the same class. She must have been too closed off to even notice who she studied with. She was satisfied with her small circle of friends, and she didn't care about the rest unless they were targets.

She summed up her courage and ran towards Lesedi and Sef. The professor was discussing the dimensions of the gigantic red stables. Hal said to Lesedi, "I bet you can fit a whale in one of those."

"Not just one whale, maybe ten of them." Lesedi said. "Ever wondered if those golems in the entrance are real though and once stayed in these stables?"

It was an awkward feeling but she remembered Ryu's reassurance that they were good people. His words stuck on her mind for a few seconds: Do you trust me? She smiled at him earlier that day, and realized she put her trust on someone who has been outside of their old circle. Hal drew her eyes at the seven feet stone figures; she could have sworn the golems blinked, or it could have been the shadows. "Never had classes here before. I didn't know they existed."

"I sneak into the stables in my free time. I want to think that the golems allow me in the stables, and hope one day they could be real." Lesedi said, as they followed the pack into the Equine Stable.

"They say that they haven't moved since Omar Hebab died. I guess, he's the only one who can awaken them." Sef inserted.

Or maybe someone like me, A Luine. Hal thought.

"Hal, I'm sorry about the scene we caused in the cafe a month ago. I think we started on the wrong foot. I can come strong, but I do think we, strong women, need to look out for each other." said Lesedi. "I guess we may butt heads from time to time, but I hope we are fine."

"Normally, they argue a lot with Mitsuki." said Sef.

"I have no bad blood against you, Lesedi. It's more of Mitsuki that hit me. So, we're good." said Hal.

As the group entered, Jakob, the caretaker, greeted them. Dressed in worn out overalls, he was a giant mole, having a thick black mop of hair, sharp claws as hands, short tusks and a large red mouth. Hal froze while Lesedi waved at him. He smiled meekly as he swept the floor of hay.

Lesedi whispered, "Don't be scared of Jakob. He's a nice guy. You know, the Buggane were enslaved by fairies to punish their enemies. Fortunately, Jakob is a free folk now."