Chapter 24: Let Hell Break Loose

It smelled rather fishy as they ran towards the large colonial house. Nocturne seemed to emit a massive envelope of smoke than its usual, maybe because the band was already playing, and their mist machines were on full blast.

However, Hal's gut screamed otherwise. That distinct smell of death, gunpowder and seawater almost choked her. Bakunawa was there; Neon Requyem, Cedric Chang and her best friend Zee were there.

Her heart raced as she pulled Ryu Kazama into the main hall. Luckily, there wasn't any line; the loud drums and electric guitar leaked through the concert doors. As soon as they got frisked and their tickets checked, she tugged Ryu towards the bar.

She slammed her fist on the counter, and demanded, "Alix! Have you seen the star boy around?"

Alix winked at Hal and brought her usual drink of draft beer. "He's upfront with a dark elf and Cedric Chang. Since when have you been friends with Ced?"

"Since she's been with me." Ryu said coldly. "Could you give me a draft like hers?"

Alix's elven ears twitched and he nodded at Ryu. Hal glared at him, "What? We go way back with Alix. He's like a brother to me, just like Drake. Besides, I don't have a thing for elves. They're too delicate. If he'd dare make a move, I'd be the first to hurl him to the ground." Hal grabbed her beer, and took a few slips.

Ryu huffed, and laid his arm across her waist. "I know you can take care of yourself. And that's what I like about you. I just don't trust some people." He gave Hal a light peck on the head.

Hal rolled her eyes but her cheeks were blushing. That flurry of romance and butterflies quickly diminished when she heard a familiar voice.

Reeg Myrkvi was already standing next to her. He said, "It's been a long time, my old fidus achates. So, what audacity brought you out of the shadows and ally with the children of the moon? Are you unhinged?"

He doesn't know you're one of them? Ryu said telepathically.

By the looks of it, he seems like our old Reeg and thinks it's just Zee and Neon who are the Luines. Remember, no human became a Luine.

Hal sneered and put on the charade, "Zee is a childhood friend and I was assigned to watch Neon by Uskevren after your handiwork. Thanks a lot. So, what brought you here? Didn't you bother to order?"

Reeg hissed, "The service here is an abomination! They walk in a ponderous and cumbrous manner that infuriates me! I can't even puff inside here!" He toyed with his usual charcoal cigar in his fingers as he waited anxiously. "I'm also here for the band. We used to relish their music and watch their performances. Has it been that long since I've been gone?"

"Honestly, I thought you were gone, Reeg. We had a candle lit for you in the campus."

Then, his tone shifted, and his breath smelled like rotten fish fermented for a hundred years. "Looks like history repeats itself." He spoke slowly, wherein his S were prolonged.

All Hal could think of was Bakunawa took over. Why hasn't he attacked yet? She said, "How?"

"Your best friend found a new love, yes? The youngest of the children of the moon was rescued by a death god in our time. Many wanted that because of his power over the winds, and during that time, the guardian of the seas and the death god had an alliance. I got trapped in the sea... "

Hal was about to respond but it was replaced with a loud shrill by the coming of the band. In that moment, Reeg disappeared in the shadows. Pucha. Hal snatched Ryu's hand, dragging him deeper into the crowd, towards the stage.