Chapter 26: The Silence of the Shadows

Darkness was their only companion around. All she saw was pitch black, and all she heard was the deafening sound of lifelessness. Her heart jumped as she came back to her senses. Nothing. Still no sign of Zee or Neon. She was staring at a ceiling painted with unicorns, fairies and elves. Hal sat up and heaved a hefty breath.

A scrawny man was staring at her, as he spoke, "Still nothing, miss?"

Hal shook her head.

"We can try again if you want." Ryu replied.

Hal bit her lips,and burning tears continued to trail down her cheeks. She dug her head into Ryu's shoulders and squeezed him tight. "Zee and Neon...they were taken. I couldn't do anything. I couldn't even..."

"Stay strong, Hal." Cedric Chang said. "You almost burst into flames back there so you'd need time to recover."

"Luckily, they came right on time when I lit this. I told them everything." Ryu explained. He pointed at the aswang.

The scrawny man grinned as he introduced himself, "I am Dionisio, Dion for short. We met yesterday if you remember."

"So, this is Ford's jeep? You do come when the Agta is lit." Hal said.

Dion nodded, "Yes. Ford is busy driving while putting a cloak on the jeep. Master Cedric said you were hunting Bakunawa, and Ford's tracking Bakunawa as we speak."

A roaring screech vibrated through the ground. The jeep shook and slammed them to the left. Hal screamed," What the hell was that?"

Ford spoke, "We're being attacked by Bakunawa's smoke minions. Dion, I need you now!"

"Yes, bossing." Dion said. He pounced to the rear and yelled out in a monstrous mix of a loud high pitched whistle, clicks and sharp shrills. A heavy body clashed onto the roof, which bent the unicorn painting into a deformed horse.

"Dion! Don't ruin the jeep!" Ford yelled out. He turned to Cedric and said, "Master Cedric, we need backup. The minions are coming in a horde."

Hal got to her knees, but Cedric stopped her, "You can't fight in that condition, Hal."

She swiped his hand off her, and said, "You don't know what I can do when I'm pissed! I need to get this out of my system now!"

She steadied herself and made her way to the backdoor of the jeep. Dion was in midair, wrestling a purple shadow form of a dragon. There were two charging in their direction. Hal clasped her hands together; a surge of heat rushed through her palms and her fingers. As the dragons dove towards the jeep, she flung her hands towards them and shot jets of fire at them. The purple smoke dissipated for a while but the shadow dragons formed again.

Hal was dumbfounded; her powers didn't work on them. Tangina. Hal blurted out, "What do we do now?"

The shadow dragons dashed towards her, that they were already inches away from her face. Hal could smell it now: that rancid stench of death, the explosive dust of gunpowder and the rotting scents of the sea.

The dragon roared at her, releasing an ear piercing blast that shook her mind. She shut her eyes and curled to the ground, that all she could hear were a series of wails and cries for help. Each haunting plea pounded on her head and tore her mind apart. In the depths of her mind, she witnessed every taking of all the Luines that came before her. It was one after another that Bakunawa took a glowing life essence out of each one in line. It was Florenz Silny's turn, and she turned to Hal, her eyes turned to silver that emitted that brightest glow. She could hear her voice: Find them, Luine. It's not yet over.

She screeched in pain. In the fading light, she heard a familiar voice that called for her, HAL! Listen to my voice.

Ryu?

I'm here. I'm here.

Hal began to regain her senses. Her burning hands were intertwined with Ryu's as he endured it all. The metal floor of the jeep was charred by her fiery outbursts, a raging heat was still emitting. Cedric was at the backdoor, guarding the post with his life as he produced a shadowy shield around them.

Charmaine Halliwell said, "Do you know that you're supposed to be connected to every Luine that has awoken? That's how Florenz Silny found the others. But, I don't know how she did it."

Hal shook her head, and she had the craziest idea in her head. She slammed her hand and cursed, "You won't like this, but I need you to help me ride a dragon, or get close to one of those smoke beings."

"Are you pulling a Naiara D'Aigua?" said Charm.

"On the contrary, I want to get into the Luines' head. When the dragon roared at me, I went into the ancestral lines of the Luines. I woke up when it was Florenz Silny's turn. If I can get into their minds and forge a connection through there, we might be able to find Zee and Neon."

"So, I suppose you want me to be your guiding voice?" said Ryu.

"Yes! But, do you see what goes into my head?"

"Not completely. All I see are shadows, but the only person I see clearly is you."

"That would work." Hal turned to Charm. "Can you put a spell on me or something that will change how I look to Zee?"

"That can be arranged. I'll put a glamour on you, but you need to glow too." Charm waved her hand over Hal, and Hal began to transform into Zee. "I better look for that glowing spell."

Hal held Ryu's hand, and she intertwined her fingers with his. She leaned in to kiss Ryu but he fell back slightly, "This is weird. I'm kissing your best friend."

Hal slapped him on the shoulder, "Gago! I'm still Hal!"

Ryu beamed at her, and he traced his fingers on her cheeks. He pulled her towards him, and kissed Hal on the lips. "I know you're still in there, Hal."

She gave Ryu another peck and met Cedric at the back entrance of the jeep. "I got a reckless idea and I need you to get one of those dragons towards me."

"Hal? What in the heavens are you pulling?" said Cedric.

"Trust me. Ryu does."

Ryu clapped his hand on Cedric Chang's shoulder, and said, "Are you ready?"

Cedric heaved a sigh, and lowered the shield he created. Hal stood in between Cedric and Ryu as they held her stable. "I'm ready to be bait now, Charm. You got the spell?"

Charmed yelled, "Accende quasi stellae!"

Hal began to glow as bright as Zee, that the shadow dragons in unison dove like swarming bees. She gulped and muttered, "We only need one!"

Dion blurted out, "Let me handle this!" They could hear him pulling a heavy load on the roof. A loud slam came, and Hal was now face to face with a knocked out shadow dragon. She slammed her hands at the dragon's head and hoped for a steadier mental trip. It was now or never.