Chapter 37

That night, Marissa slept better than she had since she had been taken to the hospital in Syracuse. Braxton credited the fact that she was now 1800 miles from the compound for that, but she knew that him being there with her had a lot to do with it as well. He had spoken to Gideon, who had in turn spoken to the ICU doctor about him being on the bed with her at night. Fortunately, the ICU physician gave his consent. He had seen on the chart from University Hospital that she'd had nightmares so bad that she woke up screaming and that they didn't happen when Braxton was with her on the bed. Besides it being good for Marissa, it was good for the other patients and their visiting family members to not be disturbed by her screams.

When Gael and Irene arrived in the morning, Braxton got the car keys from them and drove to Gideon's. The oncologist had left for the hospital, but his wife, Paula, welcomed him into their home. She poured him a cup of coffee and asked if he wanted breakfast. He was starving and gratefully accepted the offer. She made some eggs and toast for him.

Caitlin stopped in the kitchen to meet Braxton before Paula drove her to school. "How is Marissa?" she asked as she sat down at the table. She'd already had her breakfast.

"She had a good night. Better than the past couple nights had been", he replied as Paula set his meal in front of him.

"I am glad. I hope she gets better soon. Marissa is a very nice lady. She was so kind to me when we were there for their Thanksgiving. My dad has been very worried about her."

"We've all been worried about Marissa", Paula said. "I know Gideon will be glad when he finally removes her kidney, but that's a few weeks off. He says she needs to heal from this ... this ... incident first. Caitlin and I wanted to visit but he says she can't have a lot of visitors in the ICU."

"You can Skype with her if you want. Text me or one of her parents when you want to and we'll let you know if she is awake and up to it", Braxton offered. "I'm sure she would love to chat with you for a few minutes. She sleeps a lot, though, and is very weak, so don't be offended if she says no. Try again the next day."

When he finished his breakfast, Paula said "I'll show you your room, and then I have to take Caitlin to school. Make yourself at home, help yourself to whatever you want to eat or drink." Braxton followed her upstairs. Paula took him to one of the guest bedrooms. "We have two guest rooms - we'd hoped for another child or two when we bought the house, but it didn't happen."

"When Marissa is released from hospital, she's coming here, right?" Braxton asked.

"That is the plan, yes."

"Where will she sleep? In my room?"

"If she's able to get up and down the stairs, and she wants to sleep with you, that is fine with us. However, we're making the tv room downstairs into a temporary bedroom. Gideon is going to get a hospital bed for Marissa, he thought it might be more comfortable since she will be able to raise her head and knees if she wants. He said you've been sleeping on the bed with her in the hospital - that it prevents her from having nightmares."

"Yes, that is correct. For some reason, she doesn't have them if I'm on the bed with her."

"She has been through so much. When she made contact with Gideon after she left the Cartel and went home, Marissa sent him an email telling him in detail what she'd been through. He let me read it. It sure explained her willingness to die from the cancer, but I'm glad she got out and went to her parents. And then she was kidnapped again last weekend. It's no wonder she has nightmares." Paula cringed inwardly, remembering what she'd read in the email.

"She has and she has more to go through with the surgery and chemo and then testifying once they arrest cartel members."

"Gideon feels a pull toward her. He worries about his patients, but he doesn't bring them home or take his family to their homes for a weekend. Marissa is special to him - and she's become special to Caitlin and I, too."