➋ Day 1 of Dragon Training

|Ellie's POV|

Gobber filled his wooden mug with water and slumped into the chair next to me.

"Y'know, Elleh, Ay've been thinking of sending ya fur dragon training."

I immediately stopped munching on the loaf of bread I was eating and sat up.

"Dragon training? But Gobber, are you sure?"

"Sure as can be," He replied, then taking a sip from his mug, "Ay know ya'll do just fine. I have faith in ya."

That sent me into a spiral of thoughts. I barely knew anyone in Berk, let alone those at dragon training. They rest were all around the same age as me... We'll that's provided Gobber's estimate of my age is accurate. I'm turning 21 this year, but I'll miss the innocence and peaceful bliss of being an adolescent.

I may have spoken to Hiccup and Astrid once or twice but I hardly ever see Fishlegs, Snotlout and the twins around. But the things they've done as a team are absolutely amazing, to be honest. From slaying that massive monster of a dragon 6 years ago to defeating Drago Bludfist, I've heard Stoick's boastful tales too many times. I guess dragon training with them will be interesting. Even though Hiccup is chief now, he still attends dragon training and I genuinely admire his humility.

The next day, Gobber woke me up at the crack of dawn. After my usual morning routine, I picked out my white and silver coat – it was my favourite. My coats were't that long, ending slightly above my knees. I made sure to choose the nicest one, first impressions are important. I then tied my shoelaces and grabbed my helmet.

"Now ya lookin' like a real vikin'!"Gobber looked over and nodded approvingly.

"Thanks, Gobber," I smiled and ran my fingers through my hair to straighten them out. He then grabbed his bag and we walked down to the academy together.

At the academy, almost everyone had arrived, except for Hiccup and Snotlout. We waited till they showed up and began.

"Alright, listen up ya lads," Gobber hit his hammer against his shield to get our attention, "We have a new student todae. Hur name's Elleh suh be nice, got it?" Everyone nodded in unison and followed Gobber to one end of the large pit.

"Hey newbie," I felt someone nudge my arm, only to be greeted by Snotlout's smug face when I turned around, "If you need a tour around here or if you want someone's place to drop by, just let me know."

"I may be new to dragon training but I'm certainly not new to Berk, unfortunately for you. Thanks for the selfless offer."

Hearing my reply, he snorted in disgust and walked away.

Gobber brought over everyone's dragons... except mine. And it's easy to understand why: I didn't have one and I wasn't sure if I even needed one.

"Aww doesn't the newbie get a dragon?" Snotlout turned to look at me and sniggered.

"For all you know, perhaps I don't need one." I shot back a death glare and approaced Gobber.

"So... Do I need one? A dragon, I mean."

"Ay'll have to get ya one but for now, you can share a dragon with someone else. Why not Hiccup?"

I took a step back. Hiccup and Astrid were in a relationship and I knew Astrid was really protective over it. But Gobber explained it to Hiccup and he understood.

"Hey."

"Oh, erm, hey." It was awkward being around someone so heroic as Hiccup.

"So, you're new huh?"

"Yeah, sort of."

The conversation was short and awkward but it was pretty interesting interacting with Toothless.

"Hello!" Toothless immediately pranced on me.

"Oh hey, Toothless!"

"You got any food?" He sniffed through my coat, almost lifting it up.

"No, Toothless, no food on me."

"You understand him pretty well!" Hiccup remarked.

"Thanks," But that's when I realised... I can understand Toothless. Everything Toothless said translated in my head, like it was completely natural. I guess we learn new things every day.

"You don't smell normal..." Toothless squinted. I took a step back and quickly allowed Hiccup to take over. "He's your dragon, I think you should be spending more time with him than me."

Hiccup and I chatted a little every now and then and it was cool. We joked and laughed and it made every thing less awkward. Hiccup was a nice guy but I didn't want to get too friendly in case Astrid got the wrong idea. Perhaps I should try to prove to Astrid I'm trustworthy. Befriending her is a great way to do just that.

Time flew by and soon it was the end of dragon training for the day. I waved goodbye to Hiccup and followed Gobber home.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

|Author's Note|
So that's chapter 2! It's a bit longer and there wasn't much action but trust me, it'll build up to that. So do let me know what you think in the comments and vote on it if you want to see more! :)