Chapter 5: The Starting Goaltender's Uber Driver

Jake went home that night, promising to call the next day. She hugged him and made him promise to visit one more time before he left for LA.

She rested her chin on his chest and looked up at him, at the most awkward angle ever, because she was still pretty short compared to him. He brushed her hair away from her face, and he leaned down.

Her heart leapt into her chest. Was he going to kiss her? Did she want him to kiss her? Was this finally going to happen? She would have to face all of those issues that she came up with when contemplating dating him. He played his last season in Summerbrough. He wouldn't be playing here anymore. Did she want a relationship with him? Could she handle it? What about Leo?

Why was she thinking about Leo? What did he have to do with anything?

Before she could decide on any of these questions, her sister yelled from upstairs.

"Hurry the fuck up, Rose. The show is starting!"

They both looked towards the voice and laughed.

"Okay, that's my queue to finally leave." He said, looking back down at her. "I will see you again soon."

She nodded and watched him drive off before closing the door and heading upstairs to join her sister in her room.

"Goosh, I am here." She said, plopping down.

"Took you long enough." Alli rolled her eyes and watched as the show began.

*****

July went by, uneventful. There were a few parties, some movies, a concert, a lot of baking cookies. Jake was in LA for NHL prospect camp for the better part of the month, getting to know the new guys. He was gone for most of the month, and even when he was at home, he other things to do, so she didn't see him much.

She did get a few chances to hang out with her other friends. Usually, it was in someone's backyard - because that's all they could do nowadays. No one had the money for much else unless it was a special occasion.

This week, it was Ivy's backyard, where they all huddled around their little firepit in the backyard. Rose was curled up on one of the patio chairs with a blanket, while Ivy sat across from her, feet waving in front of the fire to keep it warm.

It was late enough that most of her friends had gone home, so it was just her and their other friend, Clara, left. If Ivy was her opposite, with her outgoing personality and take no shit attitude, then Clara was her twin. They were both too nice for their own good, but somehow Clara out niced her in the department of giving people the benefit of the doubt. Of course, she did - if she were Clara, she would not have held a grudge against Leo for this long.

That wasn't who the topic of conversation was about tonight, however. Rose had tried to be diligent and steer the conversation away from anything to do with Jake, but it failed miserably.

"So," Ivy said conspicuously. "How are you holding up?"

"About what?" Clara asked, looking between the two of them. She had her long blonde hair tied up into a messy bun that flopped around as she moved her head. Ivy's was no better, her dark brown bun bobbing as she shook her head.

"Jake, of course. He got traded." Ivy said, snagging a gram cracker from the pack on the table. They had been roasting marshmallows earlier, and Rose had eaten enough to keep her full for a week.

"He what!" Clara squeaked. "To where?"

"Drinkwater," Ivy responded before Rose could. "A whole hour away."

"Rose, I am so sorry." Clara looked at her. "This sucks."

"I mean, for the Silver Carps and me." Rose shrugged sadly. "Not for him and the Drinkwater Blueshirts."