Chapter 7: I'm Gonna Win a Cup for you First

The rest of the holidays went by quickly. Rose got a chance to see her friends and family for New Years', however, the Whitehorns opted out due to them going to Niagara for the holiday. She knew Leo didn't have a game between New Year's Eve and New Year's Day, so they were going to take the opportunity. She didn't mind putting off seeing Leo for a little longer.

They drank sparkling juice, cheers the new year, and watched across Canada as they rang in the new year, too. Then the party was over, and it was time for bed.

She watched the world juniors, cheering on the guys she knew, and of course, her sister had gotten tickets for the Silver Carps game on the same day as the gold medal game.

"I wanna watch as much as you, but you wanted to see Hunter." Alli pointed out. "However, we can watch on my phone. I am sure everyone is going to be more invested in the juniors anyway."

Hunter Jones. The Parkbrough Monarchs goalie, who she adored, for some reason. She couldn't tell why exactly she liked watching him play, but she did. He was cute and really good at hockey, so what else reason did she need? It was also an opportunity to finally properly watch Leo play, but she was not about to admit that out loud.

"That is true." Rose nodded, fixing her lipstick in the car mirror. "Maybe they will play it during intermission."

"Hopefully." Ivy piped up from the backseat. "You know they never do anything smart."

Alli looked at her through the rearview mirror. "You aren't wrong."

*****

Rose finally got the chance to sit in the stands and watch the game, and they ended up watching the Canada game more than they did the Silver Carps for the first two periods.

The Silver Carps scored 5 after two periods, to the Parkbrough Monarch's two goals, both of which she saw the only times she looked up. Every time the Silver Carps scored, they were surprised, but everyone was only half into the game anyways. Canada was down by one goal in the third period, so that was a little more important at the moment.

She had watched Leo every time the game went to TV time out, however, debating if now was the time to even snap him back. She should, especially with the issue to Rachel looming. She should warn him, if not for him, but for the sake of the team. They did not need that drama this year, especially with their slipping position in the standings.

"Oh, oops." Her sister had said, halfway through second, right after the Monarchs scored.

She had looked over. She hadn't spilt anything, which is usually why "oops" came out of her mouth. She looked relatively clean this time, though.

"What happened?" She ended up asking as she leaned over to Alli so she could hear her.

"Look." Alli stuck her phone in her face to show her the boomerang she took.

It was a really nice boomerang. Unfortunately, it was a perfect shot of the puck going five-hole on Leo.

"That is horrible. Please send it to me." Rose snorted.

*****

Team Canada won the gold medal, which they showed on the screen during intermission. Everyone had been watching on their phone, paying that more attention than the game on the ice, so when the final buzzer rang in the Gold Medal game, everyone cheered and celebrated. The Silver Carps also won their game, so that was good too, she guessed.

She sat at home after, looking at the boomerang. It was such a funny shot to have, mostly because it was the nicest shot she got of their 7-2 win.