Chapter 9: They Don't Normally Go After the Goalie

The Silver Carps got back to Summerbrough around 8 on Sunday. She only knew because the group chat she was in was lit up with the older guys, who didn't have school the next day, asking who wanted to go out for a bit.

She glanced at it after about 10 minutes of rapid pinging.

Nater: Dave and Busters anyone?

Nicky: Tall Nick said he would buy.

Nic I: Against my will

Do you people not have class tomorrow

Nater: I don't have class till Wednesday, then Thursday. Three courses are the way to go for sure.

Nicky: Same here

Hammer Time: I am down if Tall Nick is buying

Aidan: I am down too

Julie: I am in

Cas (Nicky's GF): I will have to leave at 11

Aidan: Boooo

Cal: I am gonna submit my paper. First, I'll be by around 9:30.

Jamie: I wanna come

She scrolled down. The rest was just Kian telling them to stop using this group chat because they were all sitting beside each other at the moment.

She looked at the read receipts and saw that Leo had read the messages, so she shot him a text in their own private chat.

What are you up to?

(Leo)nardo Dicaprio: I am trying to sleep shhh

Shut up. I know you are reading the group chat

(Leo)nardo Dicaprio: stalker. What's up?

Wanna get Timmies when you get home?

(Leo)nardo Dicaprio: Hell yes.

That's how they ended up in the Timmies up the road from them, sipping hot chocolate and Leo macking down on a croissant.

"How was the game? I listened on the radio." She started, taking another sip from her still very hot drink.

He launched into a bunch of explanations about almost every goal that went in on him, and she let him. She knew he didn't get to just talk about them a lot, so she was more than happy to allow him to rant. She was happy to see him. As a friend. Or...

Nope. A friend. For sure. Whatever feelings she had for Leo and left a long time ago. Now, she was just trying to accept him with the friendship he is offering. That was what these strong feelings were.

In the middle of him talking about the last 3 minutes of the game, his phone went off, and he ignored it. It was face down, so she couldn't see who it was. If it was his Mom, he figured he should get it. He didn't seem bothered by it, so she ignored it too.

Then it went off again.

And again.

He flipped it over to silence it but didn't turn it over again. After another moment, she could see the name Rachel🦄 flash across his screen, with a huge photo of her behind it.

"Oh my god." Leo said finally and just turned his DND on.

"Who's that?" She asked. She needed to know what was going on.