chapter 2: d-156

"Understanding is the first step to acceptance,
and only with acceptance can there be recovery."

<Leaning Against The Wind - Solji>

"Oppa."

Taehyung stopped in his tracks, turning to look at Jennie who walked next to him. "Hm?"

"Everything is going to be fine," Jennie had tears in her eyes as she uttered those words. "You know that we'll be by your side through this all, right?"

Tears welled up in Taehyung's eyes as well and his lips parted as if he wanted to say something. But he slowly pursed them back once more and settled with a small nod, fighting back the urge to cry. After days and nights of crying with Jennie when Hyeyoung was asleep, he had finally promised her that he'd stop crying. The moment he had agreed to accept treatment was the moment he realised he needed to be strong, just like what Namjoon had said.

Not for himself, but these two people who meant so, so much to him. Hearing the news about him had taken a huge toll on Jennie, and if he didn't seek treatment... Taehyung was so sure that she'd just completely break down and stop functioning altogether. But that was not good, not only for herself, but for Hyeyoung as well. Who was going to take care of her? That was what pushed Taehyung on to be determined to recover - or at least... to try.

Now that both of them were here with him, he had to hold it out at least till they left. 

"Appa!"

Hyeyoung's cheerful voice gave Taehyung the instant urge to cry. But he swallowed hard and put on the biggest smile he could muster, before looking down at Hyeyoung. He tried his best not to look at their interlocked hands, knowing that one look and he'd be instantaneously crying like a baby.

"Yes, Hyeyoung-ah...?"

"Come closer!" Hyeyoung said with a cheeky smile, beckoning Taehyung towards her as she hid something behind her back.

Exchanging a brief glance with Jennie, Taehyung slowly crouched down to his knees so that he was finally at Hyeyoung's eye level.

"What is it, Hyeyoung-ah?"

"Don't be sick, appa..." Hyeyoung said with a pout as she reached out from behind her back, showing Taehyung the little yellow smiley plaster she had in her tiny hand. "If you're sick... Hyeyoung-ie will be sad..."

Hyeyoung carefully peeled away the plastic, before pasting the plaster gently on Taehyung's forehead. The whole time, Taehyung watched on, fighting the urge to cry that was only getting stronger and stronger.

"There you go, appa-" Hyeyoung smiled as she gave the plaster a little pat and took a step back. "Done!"

Taehyung really was about to cry as he looked into Hyeyoung's eyes, trying to maintain a smile and keep his voice steady. With a trembling hand, Taehyung slowly reached up to his head and touched the plaster. "What's this for, Hyeyoung-ah?"

"I heard you telling omma this morning that your head hurts..." Hyeyoung looked up at Jennie with a blank look before turning back to Taehyung once more. "Omma always puts a plaster on me when I'm hurt... so Hyeyoung-ie wants to do the same for appa too-"

With one swift action, Taehyung pulled Hyeyoung into his arms and squeezed her tight. With a rush of emotion, the tears finally began to fall. And so, Taehyung allowed them to fall as he sobbed quietly, trying not to let it show. At the corner of his eye, he saw Jennie turning away - he couldn't see her face, but he already knew that she was crying uncontrollably, just like he was. They had all been trying to keep it in, trying to be strong for each other... but it was hard - really, really hard.