chapter 15: d-1

"Your appearance in my life was like
the universe's way of telling me to live on."

<It's alright, This is Love - Davichi>

"Kim Jisoo, eat your food."

Jisoo looked down at the bowl of bibimbap Seokjin had placed in front of her. She pushed the bowl away, leaning back in her seat once more as she glanced over at Taehyung, who lay motionless in his bed.

It was the 14th day.

"Why-" Seokjin pouted. "You don't want it?"

Jisoo shook her head, as she finally peeled her eyes away from Taehyung and glanced at the ground.

"Please, Jisoo-ya-" Seokjin held the spoon in his hands, looking at Jisoo with teary eyes. "Take it as I'm pleading with you - please eat."

"I really have no appetite, oppa."

"You have been like that for two weeks now-" Seokjin inhaled sharply, trying to control his tears. "Just because he's in... this state, you're gonna starve yourself?"

"I'm not starving myself, oppa-" Jisoo looked up at Seokjin and managed a weak smile. "I'm just... really not in a mood to eat."

"For how long are you gonna act like this, Kim Jisoo?" Seokjin was clearly upset as she chucked the spoon down onto the table for the umpteenth time over the past two weeks. He pointed vaguely in Taehyung's direction, before looking Jisoo straight in the eyes. "Do you really think he would want to see you like that?"

Jisoo stared at Seokjin for a while, trying to read his expression that screamed nothing but worry and concern. If he found out the truth behind her car accident... If he ever found out the car accident wasn't completely an accident... Jisoo knew he'd never recover from it.

Prior to the accident... life had always been rough for Jisoo. She had lost both her parents at a young age and literally only had Seokjin, her only brother, to rely on. Her career wasn't going well either, and neither was her social life... not to mention her love life. Nothing was going well in Jisoo's life at all, and every single day of her life passed like it was meaningless.

Jisoo didn't just feel useless, she felt like she was a burden to Seokjin. Seokjin was the sole breadwinner of their household, but his pay wasn't that much either - at least, not enough to support them both to live comfortably. Jisoo often saw Seokjin sacrificing various things he'd want, just so he could spend money in other ways to make his sister happy instead.

Every now and then, Jisoo would walk past those tall skyscrapers and catch a glimpse of those advertisements where people described life to be so wonderful and full of meaning... but she could never relate, really. Because from her point of view, there wasn't really anything much in her future to look forward to.

And then... one day, the car accident happened.

She was driving home on a rainy snowy night. And when she skidded, Jisoo knew she had the chance to prevent it from happening. As her car continued to slide across the cold thin sheet of ice that very night, and felt her car going out of control... Jisoo knew that in those crucial split seconds, she still had the chance to take control of the car and steer it back on the streets.